Friday, March 01, 2013

Bernie (2012) - Black Comedy



Bernie was termed as most under appreciated film of 2012 and I know why it was because half the people who like Jack Black (just like me) couldn’t imagine him in this kind of a role. He does put a smile on your face but it’s hard to connect with the character, hence the out come. And I am surprised to know that it’s based on a true story, even some of the characters played themselves in the movie – now that’s something fundoo. Bernie Tiede (Jack Black) is a small town mortician who does his job with sheer perfection – you’ve got to see the introduction as how he does it all – fabulous job. He becomes a good friend of recently widowed super rich Marjorie (Shirley Maclaine) and how they become the talk of the town because of their escapades is movie all about plus the tragic ending of their story and the movie. Mostly the movie didn’t work for me because I expected it to be a comedy movie with Jack in it – it is indeed a black comedy but again as I said – I hardly had a connect with it fortunately the Texas connection works for me as I already mentioned earlier – I kindda like a movie with Texan background anyways because of the unique way they talk and do things, still this was a big turn off. I won’t even call it an average one time watch as I was totally bored of it by the time it ends, skip it – if you haven’t seen it but if you are a big Jack Black fan – might as well give it a shot. I will rate it 2/5 for sure.

No comments: