Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Attacks of 26/11 (2013) - Crime Thriller



The moment I read that RGV is going to make a movie on the dreaded terrorist attacks of 26/11/2008 in Mumbai – I was all excited as I believed he will be the right on to shed some light on the subject. The poor guy was already involved in the controversy of visiting the Taj Hotel with the then Chief Minister Vilas Rao Deshmukh and criticized for the same by media and all. If you haven’t seen it – let me tell you off hand that it is indeed one hell of a movie – not to be seen by faint hearted at all, it gave me Goosebumps throughout the narrative and chills down my spine. I am sure almost everyone was glued to their TV screens, News Channels and to the print media when it was happening and so much has been said and reported about the incident that its glued forever in our smemory and as the scenes unfold in the movie – it just moves you big time to see how it all happened. Barring a very few stupid mistakes like showing the Mahindra XUV 5OO in 2008 and some other smaller ones, RGV has handled the whole thing pretty well – not for one moment it feels exaggerated as I truly believe it must be worse than what we see onscreen, the brutality, the way the killed so many innocent people in cold blood is simply heart breaking, blood and gory moments, shocking is an understatement. It has so many “Oh my fucking god” moments; the casting too is apt with who else could have played the role of Joint Commissioner of Police but Nana Patekar, outstanding is the way he narrates the whole night, his expressions, dilemma, body language, long pauses and everything else is to be praised big time, watch out for the last scene when he is shown as talking to Ajmal Kasab (One of the terrorists who was caught alive) – it’s a mind blowing scene with a glass of tea in his hand. Especially for people who live and were in Mumbai at that very particular time – this will appeal big time. It’s a mind blowing docudrama I would say and a definite rating of 3/5 from my side. A must watch for all – so the world should know too – what havoc the city of Mumbai faced one fateful night.

No comments: