Friday, November 02, 2012

Bhoot Returns (2012) - Horror

Ram Gopal Varma has screwed his reputation so badly that I seriously couldn’t convince any of my friends to accompany me to see this one on big screen. Unfortunately had to settle for home viewing and was lucky to get a good print this early. This was a very interesting movie which did keep me on the edge of my favorite chair totally hooked to the story with so many shocking moments and with some unintentionally funny moments too. I sincerely found it to be quite entertaining and I am sure on 3D – it would be too good a watch – worth all the money you spend on a horror movie. I am one of those guys who get scared quite easily and in that sense it wasn’t a proper horror movie but was at least slightly better than an average thriller. It was fantastic to see JD Chakravarthy (Satya) and Manisha Koirala finally in a movie – my wife almost didn’t recognize the guy. Although it had the same beaten to death story of a family moving into a new house whose tenants had gone missing, I really wondered why would somebody take up a house of that sorts but again – they had to make a movie out of it so its ok. Same stuff of kid seeing the spirit first, parents not agreeing, finally after some scary moments they run out for their life and the ghost remains in the house for yet another part. It’s certainly a good 2 stars from me for Ram Gopal Varma and a good half for his damn good camera angles which work in this one big time. 

Director and Entire Cast
I really wonder at times that why they don’t try to scare the audience in some new ways. And always use the beaten to death formula in Indian movies by making same old sounds from the doors, windows and even the devil sounds similar in all our movies. I expected something new ground breaking stuff from RGV’s factory of movie making this time and was sorely disappointed. The day I heard he was making a horror that too in 3D – I got all excited but unfortunately even the reviews were not that good for this one. Finally after watching it myself today I don’t regret anymore that I didn’t see this one on big screen as I am sure now – it wouldn’t have scared me any more than it did it at home. It leaves so much to be desired from the movie – I was all prepared to get scared but the acclaimed Director fails his fans again. He is famous for his weird camera angles – he used them in almost all of his earlier movies and when it came to directing a scary movie – it was all done with a straight camera – missed those typical RGV shots so much in this one barring a very few from ceiling fan, under the table, wash basin, grass root level etc, but they didn’t scare me one bit. This will definitely be called a disappointing job yet again from all RGV standards. Looking forward to his upcoming movie on terrorist attack on Mumbai – shooting is in full swing – hope he makes a good come back with that one.

No comments: