Friday, July 31, 2020

Bag of Bones - Stephen King (Book)

Bag of Bones - Stephen King. I actually feel double proud to declare after finishing another Stephen King that I lived to tell the tale :). Again as it always is the case with King books and stories, last fifteen days had been harrowing for me to say the least. Almost a little short of 750 pages it was a total fun read (in my case it is always the longer, the thicker the better). But I wonder why the entire universe goes head over heels to support Mr. King. I not only felt someone patting me on my back very lightly almost like by a feather fan or something and I woke up a few times to find my bedroom empty and door locked from inside. Right on the very second day of me reading this book my bedroom curtain started playing games with me by making shapes as if someone was hiding behind them, so far last two weeks I have kept them totally open even while taking my afternoon siesta :). I strictly warned my kiddo to make noise while walking in to the living room or kitchen especially while I am reading or washing utensils. Even then, she has given me shocks a few times innocently and unknowingly of-course and I was coaxed not to read anymore horror in near future till I grow up a little more :). I have heard someone whispers in my ears while I was sleeping, asking for help in the Lord Voldemort's snake voice (the greatest ever fictional villain from Harry Potter series). Yet I finished the book and here I am sharing it with you guys.
Every-time I read one of his books and come here blabbering about the same stuff that he is my all time favorite Author and all that. Still this must be one of his weakest stories so far, although it had its own impact on me but from his standards it was way below the average mark. Bag of Bones is a very straight forward story of an Author going through a writer's block after his wife's untimely death in strange circumstances. He goes back to his vacation home which they call "Sara Laughs", and that house too has its own painful story of its past to tell us in a most shocking, surprising and horrific way, which is further explored by the author while he tries to write his next book amidst the happenings in his life. A little love story with a twist and lots of spooky moments with a three year old kid in toes kept me jumping on my reading chair :) and made me pray for the happy ending. You've got to read the book to know if it has a happy ending or not but no doubt, it worked like a proper thriller and quite a page turner. His writing and prose is so amazing that I actually end up Googling the town's name (TR90) to find if it exists in the map of United States of America or not :). The book is visually so strong (just like all his other works I have read so far) that I was actually able to visualize the whole scenes in the back of my head. If this is already or will be adapted as a movie or a TV series in future, I will have to gather my guts again to watch it but it will for sure make up for a superb onscreen experience.
Have you read Bag of Bones or any other Stephen King which has scared you big time? Do let me know which one is your favorite King book, I would love to give it a read.
PS: Now that I have run out of King books, I am about to pick up my first Maeve Binchy (Tara Road) right after I finish two Author sent (one unpublished and one published respectively) books back to back from my Friendly writers :).

No comments: