Monday, August 17, 2020

The Mind Whisperer - Rajesh M Iyer (Book)

The Mind Whisperer - Rajesh M Iyer.

I must have read at least a dozen odd books from the Mythological Fiction genre in the last few years and for sure half of them were either based on Karna's life or revolving around it. And I must also add that almost all of them have worked with some that have such beautiful memories in my mind that I will for sure read them again in very near future. I don't know why but Karna's character is totally mesmerizing for me from Mytho stories and every story adds up more to the enigma called Karna for me. So, a few months back as soon as I came to know that one of my favorite authors from our part of the world was writing a book on another chapter of the much loved character, I was totally excited to lay my hands on the book. Last week I got my own fresh baked copy of the book with a superb signed note by the Author himself :) Can anyone be more luckier than me when it comes to reading :). The title was so intriguing that I almost abandoned a Stephen King book to start this one but then realized it will be a blasphemy (King being my all time favorite) so waited another few days to finish that one. Look at that beautiful cover and the note by the Author himself, although I am going to complain about the length (or lack of it) for sure that my heart kept asking for more whereas the writer had different ideas :) (may be a sequel in future or another chapter from his life).

As soon as I started this one, my daughter after knowing who this one was based on commented that I am going to give her further more gyan on Karna's life once I finish this one :). Unfortunately she hasn't yet read neither the epic Ramayan or Mahabharat, although we are watching the TV series based on the first one and will start the one on latter shortly. The book as I said earlier is based on the last few days of Karna's life, starts almost while the last of the great war is taking place and he is about to kill is own brothers because of the call of the dharma. Although because of the much read and adored epic, we already know the ending still it was fantastic the way Author has waved his magic wand and given us another terrific chapter from the much loved man's life in making his character a few notches more deeper. To know who the actual Mind Whisperer in the story and what changes those whisperers bring to Karna's life (or shall I say death), you've got to read the book which is simply too good but too short too. Hardly 160 pages and the pace is so fast and suspenseful that I had to finish it in two days with no respite. Super thanks to him but it was great to read further more about lesser known characters from the epic especially about Karna's charioteer who competes with the best ever charioteer Krishna himself. Visually it is beautifully told that I had no option but to bring those characters back to my mind from the much loved TV series and see them in a new light from Rajesh's pen.

Although it takes nothing away from the book or the story but I believe it would have done wonders if he had added a few pages from Epic's background especially for those who haven't yet read the original story in full. My kiddo actually started the book but had so many questions to ask about different characters and stories that I had to tell her to read the original full story first before attempting a book like this one based on one character's one particular period from his own life. This one will not work like a stand alone book but will be much enjoyed by people like me who love reading more reference stories based on that era. 

No comments: