Monday, September 14, 2020

Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy (Book)

Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy.

Disclaimer: If you have read my earlier posts saying that I have found my all time favorite Author, this post makes those posts Null & Void and finally I have found my all time favorite Author and Thomas Hardy is now my permanent favorite.
I still very well remember by FYJC days when I was smitten in love (now I call it infatuation) with a girl whose name even was so rich that I couldn't dare dream of ever having her in my life but that never stopped me from being in love with her. Although we were as different as chalk & cheese, she was rich I was poor, she was beautiful and most of you have seen my pictures 🙁 she was bubbly in a group of admirers and I usually had my lunch alone sitting on a puliya. But what has that got to do with the book in question? if you want to ask me that, it means you haven't read this one or any of the Hardy books. Wonder why is he so cruel to his characters, especially to his men, women he is still at times fines and gives them some leverage but he is brutal to his men, I tell you that in advance. Also, I started this while travelling and as I boarded an Aircraft this Sunday morning holding the book in my hand, even the air-hostess who welcomed me in quickly added pointing to the book "Depressing, is it?" and while she made coffee to me I dared asked her "Why is he so hard on his men?" to which she retorted "He isn't easy on his women too, especially in this one". And I must tell you that this story and the book again invoked so many unbelievable emotions that I can't properly put them in words, I had to race to the end to know if it would be any better than his last that I read "Jude the Obscure".
Love (and life) story of a shepherd who faces severe hardship because of his sheer bad luck, a gem of a man from all angles but God (mean Hardy) has some different plans for him. Initially I was totally in love with the man Gabriel as I can bet my life that you will not find a better character than him even if you search with the help of Aladin's lamp. Falls in love at first sight but as I know Thomas Hardy so much better going though his second book that I could predict, it ain't be easy for Gabriel to get the love of his life. But how he goes through after his rejection and where his destiny takes him especially when the reader hopes that his path should cross again with the love of his life, like I said earlier once you love someone, you just can't unlove it and so is the case of Gabriel. How he goes through in life still in shadows of love of Bathsheba Everdene is the rest of the story. But by the time I hit the halfway mark, Mr. Hardy plays with my loyalty so royally that it is very hard to explain. Just when I thought he was too cruel to his Men he changes gears and we have a second story, and just when I thought that was that, he decides to give me another twist 🙂 but with so much heart and emotions in it that he very ably swiped me off my feat and not only made me fall in love with a few of the characters but the Author himself too. You've got to keep trust on your Author to know more and feel the depth that he actually wants you to feel. Throughout the 320+ pages I was totally clueless as what would be the right way to judge the things the way they were going.
Undoubtedly Far from the Madding Crowd I will always remember for the amazing characters carved out by Mr Hardy so beautifully. And his prose is so poetic that it flows like a smooth river which flows without making any noise or ripples, if you know what I mean. This is ultimate story in poetry I should say. I am dead sure that I will never read a book ever from any other writer which will come any close (in prose) to Thomas Hardy's work(s). Also, if you are into collection fantastic one liners, t his is the book which will give you at least a good dozen for your collection. Thomas Hardy's philosophies are simply incomparable. And If you ever want to know the meaning of a word called Selfless, you've got to read this book for the same. And this will always show up on the top of my list now onward whenever a discussion on the best love stories will ever start. Oh! and before I forget I must mention that it has some BEAUTIFUL illustrations, and they are so true to life that I could never imagine a more beautiful (and fragile) face for Bathsheba, and farmer Gabriel Oak or the two men that I shouldn't mention here 🙂.
Have you read Far from the Madding Crowd? if you have read it, do let me know how you like it and if you haven't, I must say that you've got to read it ASAP. Also, do let me know which one is your favorite Thomas Hardy book.
PS: I so much wish that I run into the same Air-hostess on my way back to Pune this weekend so I could tell her whether this was depressing or not 🙂.

No comments: