Friday, January 24, 2020

A Damsel in Distress - P G Wodehouse (Book)

A Damsel in Distress - P G Wodehouse.
Whenever I feel a little low in my life, Mr. Wodehouse is my go to man and I bet that 99% people in here especially the one's who have read and loved his stories will totally agree to it. So I read "Lolita" last week and was totally not able to get over it, couldn't think of a better book but a PG Wodehouse  and my Kindle was the savior as it had "A Damsel in Distress" still showing as unread. If three days back any of you had asked me about my favorite Romance Writer, I would have said "Nicholas Sparks" without batting my eyelids but today I will say no one comes any closer to PG Wodehouse even in romance too. The man is a mine of humor and never lets me down, throughout the book I had a huge grin plastered to my face permanently and (no exaggerations) at-least half a dozen times I actually laughed out loud inviting such looks from my kiddo saying "Dad, you've gone nuts". My last experience with a PG Wodehouse was almost a similar one where my mother almost threw me out of the house when I was laughing like crazy in the dead of the night (one fine fine Friday night that was) when I had finished Stephen King's "The Shining" and was not able to sleep and had picked up "My Man Jeeves" as an antidote. Hence this was no exception but what a brilliantly amazing joy ride of a love story this was, where Mr. A is in love with Ms B, whereas Ms B is in love with Mr. C and on top of that Mr. C is in love with Ms. D and Ms. D has someone else on her list and that someone else turns out to be a solid no go yet by the time it ends, almost everyone is as happy as you can expect them to be, they all laugh their ways back to their places and the reader is in a completely happy trance  back to picking up another disaster but before that I ordered another PGW  just to be on the safer side.
And before I forget, A Damsel in Distress is no less than a proper Sherlock Holmes thriller too as it kept me almost on the edge of my chair as I read it especially the way Mr. Wodehouse opens his cards with each passing chapter. A terrific story of a middle aged Earl, who is writing a historical on his own family, his daughter is in love with a man he doesn't approves of. Parallel as she runs to London to meet the love of her life with her good for nothing brother in tows, who has some other plans, and while all this was going on, a gem of a gentleman saves the day for her but in doing so, he himself falls head over heels in love with her. How the story progresses and the various other important characters are disclosed in the most hilarious ways and situations makes up for a superb humorous read as is always the case with a PGW book. I totally love the way Author takes digs on his contemporaries, offending no one but totally pleasing his readers. The way he takes jibes on someone's physical state yet steer clears through his characters thinking in such a light heart manner was totally outstanding. His love for the game of Gold and comparison of the same with Love had me in splits big time. You've got to read this book for that one reason only if not for nothing else.
So whenever you are down and out in life, do not looks elsewhere but pick up a PGW  which one is your favorite P G Wodehouse if I may ask? As I need to order one now and keep it in safe custody ASAP .

No comments: