Friday, April 03, 2020

Hornet Flight - Ken Follett (Book)

Hornet Flight - Ken Follett.
Disclaimer: No offence to Jeffrey Archer, Michael Crichton or even Ken Follett's fans. If you know me (even a bit) you precisely know that my loyalty towards Authors keep shifting from the one that I read last to the one whose book I hold in my hands . But never you mind that as I am totally excited to tell you that I have read the best thriller (make it a love story) ever written and the one that made me yet again regret of becoming a Financial graduate than an Engineer . I still remember my best friend's words who happens to be a fighter pilot as he gave me Michael Crichton's "Air Frame" that it is the best book ever based on an Air Craft and what goes around flying a plane (or crashing it). And let me tell you, that book indeed made me experience how it must feel to a pilot (almost). Now Hornet Flight, let me tell you upfront is totally a different ball game as you need to Google the image of a Hornet Moth and see for yourself what Ken has done with this story. Hornet Flight beats Air Frame down by half a dozen notches for sure, one of the most fantastic books ever that I have read and I am doubly sure that I am going to read it again before I meet my maker. I am huge fan of Jeffrey Archer too as his stories are class apart but none of his thrillers (and of-course love in there) comes any closer to this one which is best of both the worlds.
The best part about Hornet Flight was that I had no clue as usually is the case with all the books that I randomly pick up. Now imagine a scenario where a teenage Ballerina takes Hitler's forces head on and her partner in crime happens to be her brother's schoolmate. As Hitler gains power and a few countries give in to his growing empire as well as technological advancement in shooting down enemy air-crafts. A few youngsters are forced to start a sort of resistance and how it all pans out makes up for a beautiful thriller with a few love stories cooking up in the background. I never imagined Ken Follett having any heart for that sort of thing but he impressed me big time with this one, the man is a hardcore romantic I tell you. It is a 580+ page thriller which I had to finish in flat 3 days, I had to cut down on my morning walks as well as my Boss has been looking for me in office which I am cutting short for last few days by a couple of hours  such is the magic of a Ken Follett thriller. On top of that the way he has written it (I mean technically) especially when he talks about the Air Craft or the Motorbike which is being used in the chase was totally amazing. You've got to read the book to know how a man rides a motorbike without petrol in the need of the hour and a conked off air craft rescues the world from Nazi's menace and a brave Ballerina saves the day for British. I so much want to tell so much about the story without telling anything but I guess you have to read it yourself to know it any further.
One more thing that I wanted to mention which unfortunately we do not expect specially in a thriller is that this one had quite a few relationship angles too. Beautiful they were especially the Father Son relationship between the pastor and his good for nothing son, you've got to watch out as how it turns out in the end. Siblings on the same side of fence who underrate each other. Mother Daughter relationship which totally surprised me as can there be a character which is hardly a para in the book yet it impresses the reader big time. I wish I could tell you more on them but that is what one needs to read the book for. Talk about women empowerment in Hitler's time, Ken's women are class apart and daredevils.
Have you read Hornet Flight? or any other Ken Follett thriller which you feel is the best? Do let me know about it as I have a few of his other books that I am planning to read quite soon.

No comments: