Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Rafflesia the Banished Princess - Gautam (Book)

Rafflesia the Banished Princess - Gautam. I really consider myself lucky now after so many instances of getting incredible books as gifts from friends, family, acquaintances, book club friends and some superb ones from Authors directly. This beautiful book (inside out) too was one of those cases where the book practically walked into my collection and how amazingly it worked. Second book back to back from an Indian (foreigner) Author which worked incredibly for me and I developed such an amazing connection with the two leads that it was too hard for me to let go of them in the ending (of-course not before I wished and prayed for them to do well in their fictitious futures). As if an amazing story is not enough that the Author Gautam had to put so many of my favorite things in his book that I felt as if he wrote it actually for me :). I am at a loss of words as how to put my feelings forward to you guys now. Author's love of books and bookish characters is so much evident from one of his own character's love towards two incredible books which keeps getting mentioned almost in all the chapters one way or another. The entire story is written in flashback manner where the author shows his master touch in the very first chapter (read prologue), which I kept going back to now and then. Very smartly written in one chapter from the past immediately followed by one from the present and then in between he leaves the reader to put two and two together, totally glued in suspense to what to expect next. An incredible journey called (Indian) life captured beautifully in the form of a book especially for those born in the mid or late 70's who will have an amazing connect with the characters and their story. Terrific story of two childhood friends who are exact opposites of each other in all the possible ways one could. They are more like inseparable siblings and brothers from two different set of parents yet joined together with an unbreakable thread. How they need, have, standby, care and love each other is the story is all about. With their own set of struggles right from the childhood to adult life, affairs, profession, marriage etc. One of the main lead is Appu (one of my favorite characters from 80's and reminded me of my all time favorite Satyajit Ray's one of the most incredible character). On top of that Appu and his dad has a mastery in one of those musical instruments that I would love to learn in my life. And it is the same instrument which is a big reason behind the deep friendship between his dad and his friend's dad (who again are exact opposites of each other in the first place). And Appu has a favorite book which he keeps collecting in various formats throughout his life and how the story in his favorite book criss-crosses with his own life, you've got to read this book to know about that book. This book and its story has such deep characters and connections but the most beautiful and incredible of them was the connection of two friends Appu and Rahul. How they grow up (not always together), yet they keep a close contact with each other, how they address each others parents and the heart-touching episodes from their childhood choked me up big time. I have read so many books from some amazing masters of the arts but let me tell you this, that the way this story choked me at least three times and it indeed made me spend sleepless nights in suspense of what to expect next. A big part of the story takes place in cities where I myself lived a decade or more ago and a few areas mentioned were actually the ones that I went through while I was there. It kind of refreshed my memories. One of the most touching aspect of the entire story was the mother son relationship, imagine a character who has two mothers and he is almost loved equally by both of them and he too loves both almost equally. Author Gautam is not at all easy on his readers as he surely is a master of suspense, especially the way he builds up the story and kept me thinking of so many ways the story could have gone differently yet keeps it very straight forward and simple. And he is not at all easy on his own characters too yet the way he has carved them out, made them struggle to further make them better at so many things in their own lives was totally unbelievable. This book is not a story I would say but a journey that the reader takes with his characters, as they grow in their life, it is actually us learning so much from them not only about their lives but taking lessons for our own lives too. It has everything that one looks forward to in life, best friends, fight for daily lives, little wishes that go a very long way to be achieved, Appu's parents self respect, twist and turns in Rahul's life, Appu's friends coming to his rescue and finally finding true love and meaning in life. The greatest of them all was to have a friend on standby at all times who would go to any extent for his friend's happiness was one thing that I totally loved in this book. And I so much wish and hope that I will be able to make a few of my incredible friends read this amazing book. The way he has written the entire book, I must say that one can take an Author out of India but one cannot take out an Indian out of an Indian Author. This book and story has so much of an Indian heart in it that I totally loved it. 400 pages of sheer fun, suspense, drama, so much love and emotion, although the book was heavy for its size but was totally way more than its actual worth. Gautam's characters are so life like that I am finding it tough to not to mention that we all have people like his characters in our own life. Friends who are more brothers and sisters to us, who understand way better than our actual siblings and parents at times. Friendship where money or status doesn't matter. Friends and colleagues in foreign lands who become our family and reason of happiness in a very short time. A sister you never had but the one who never makes you feel that she isn't your real sister. Or a sister in law whose affection may beat your own mother's affection to you. A big brother that you never had, the one who will come to your rescue right on time (every-time you need him). Or a younger brother not from the same mother who will teach you very important lessons in life without expecting anything from you in return in the first place. And even those Chennai Auto drivers who will even beat a Formula 1 car on any given day :). He has a dozen or more of these amazing characters that I will never forget in life. Have you read Rafflesia? if you have, do let me know how you like it and if you haven't, I suggest you better get a copy at the earliest, sit back and enjoy the story of two amazing friends. PS: I so much wish and pray that someone adapts this book into a Mini TV series if not a full-fledged movie. I would love to see it on big screen someday as it will make up an incredible movie. Or at-least a sequel by Gautam.
PS2: Especially for those who have read the book, I have deliberately not said anything about the Editing, Grammatical mistakes and at times broken sentences as fortunately that takes nothing away from the heart-touching story and I believe an Author cannot be blamed for the same, it is more of the publisher to be blamed here.

No comments: