Thursday, February 13, 2020

The Purgatory of Half Forgotten Riddles - John A Raju (Book)

The Purgatory of Half Forgotten Riddles - John A Raju. Last week while I was reading a mammoth book gifted by my wife on my last birthday (almost a year ago) which turns out to be a very interesting account on Hinduism by an American Author, I came across this book. Although "The Hindus" is a superb book but its size and the million year long history of the culture and country did take a toll on my fragile mind. And all thanks to Author John A Raju and the deal I signed up with him :) that I actually abandoned Hindus for his book and my kiddo was totally shocked and surprised that I could really do that :). With the book almost 70% done I picked this one up and what an amazing story this one turns out to be. A breath of fresh air with terrific bookdotes (as in anecdotes) spread across the narrative with so many awesome book mentions and characters that I have loved in the recent past. Author's dissection of some of my loved characters and a few mentions of those that I haven't read totally left me intrigued. Undoubtedly a well read person like him is bound to become a superb writer as he has so very well proved with this book. Fortunately my taste is a little weird when it comes to reading, I love when an Author takes liberty of pausing his own story for his own random ramblings which in this case turns out to be superb analysis of human mind, philosophical but never turn preachy. I had a solid connect with the story because I too share the similar background like his characters and now I am finding it very difficult to talk about it without getting very personal. Superb story of three friends, Peter, Alex and Alice :). Yes, you can call it a love triangle but it isn't as straight forward as it sounds in that simple sentence. Told in (my favorite) flashback mode when Peter takes a yearly break from his usual life and goes into seclusion for a few days, ends up writing his own life story. He keeps sending the reader hooked to his past and keep moving them back and forth into the present too. So many questions kept popping in my mind and he takes his own sweet time in answering them one by one not in any particular order as it was superb engaging right from the very start. Like I must mention that the way his own father commits suicide and leaves him a four word note which turns his life upside down. What were those words and how he takes them and how it not only changes his life as well they all come full circle by the time his story (the one he is writing?) comes to an end. The entire book is full of so many amazing characters and and the story of his love life, his best friend, lost parents, totally amazing and loving aunt, the book store owner (all from past) and his wife from present, his kids and so much more is so intriguing that it kept me hooked beautifully to it all. Although I stretched it to full 5 days as that is the longest I could keep myself in suspense of what to expect from it and wanted to rush to the end too. The reader in me was totally thrilled to see the story being carved right in front of me as the story progresses day by day and let me go on the liberty without giving out anything that it swept me off my feat by the way it ends. Totally unpredictable. Another thing that I loved and will never forget about this lovely book is its title :). The way it keeps coming up in the story, it was totally awesome to decode it and understand its real meaning. Also, I will go on to the extent of saying that If I ever write a book which will come any closer to my own life, it will sound exactly like this one. And a big huge reason why this book put a smile on my face was on its back cover :). A superb blurb by an Author whose books I totally loved. Have you read The Purgatory of Half Forgotten Riddles? Do let me know how you like it and I will be eagerly waiting for his next as and when it comes out.

No comments: