Thursday, February 06, 2020

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom (Book)

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom.
72nd book for the year 2018 and the final one too, all thanks to Joyce uncle  that I missed my own target of 75 for the year but no regrets as this one turned out to be one of the best not only for the year but from my reading career too. This book took me back in time about three decades and made me realize that we all have favorite teachers, the one(s) that we love, there are a few we admire big time and try to be like them in our own ways and then we have some that we hate too. I met one of my all time favorite teachers last year around thanksgiving day as that was my long weekend and I was visiting my parents back home. Unfortunately one of my classmates lost his granny and as we were performing her last rites, I noticed him in the crowd. I was totally speechless and actually had goosebumps as I haven't seen him in ages, slowly I started making my moves to get as near to him as I could, I was totally sure that he will never recognize him as I was an underrated kid of my class from all standards and never a teachers pet. As the ceremony came to a close and the crowd was dispersing, I went near him and slowly touched his feet saying "Sir, you won't recognize me but I was one of your students from KVU", to which he patted my head, gave an amazing smile, nodded his head in his own unique way with his left hand bent from elbow resting slightly above his belt mark saying "Rohit Sharma, Rishi's brother, you stay in Extension right? and right now you are working in Pune? I know you beta". And that is how he made that day one of the best days of my life, I had no idea that he will ever remember me. On top of that as he started his motorcycle he actually offered me a ride claiming he precisely knew where I stayed. My only regret was that I was responsible to ferry oldies in my friends car to funeral site and back home, otherwise I would have enjoyed the short ride home with him.
Tuesdays with Morrie, I read during the same period while going to Mumbai on a short drive for one of the official meetings. The relationship between a Teacher and a Student so beautifully and heart touching is captured in such a way that it actually choked me up by the time it ends. As the amazing teacher not only teaches important lessons to all his students throughout his life but also teaches one of his favorite student some very important lessons during the last phase of his own life. I am proud to say that I am what I am because of a handful of amazing teachers who guided us in the most subtle ways as how to become not only a good human being but successful too. Morrie was one such amazing teacher. The story starts with Author watching his Teacher's interview on the TV show where he discloses about his current situation following which Mitch starts visiting him every Tuesday to spend some time with him. What they talk about, how Mitch tries to thank him in his own ways, what comes out of the stuff he brings for his teacher is one amazing read. My only regret was that the book was simply too short yet it left a very big mark on my heart. What made me doubly happy that I get to meet my own favorite teacher post finishing the book. What touched my heart and made me smile throughout the book was Morrie's stubbornness (in a good way) and how he communicates with his student and what they both go through during the period.
Have you read Tuesdays with Morrie? If not, you have no idea what you are missing, give it a read ASAP as it is too short and sweet. And if you have read it and other works of Mitch Albom, do let me know which one is your favorite.
PS: The teacher that I am talking about, one of my cousin is named after him and a nephew too  technically my mom too had a huge crush on the man.
PS2: I would have talked so much more about my favorite teacher but unfortunately he is on my Facebook .

No comments: