Monday, May 11, 2020

Shopaholic & Sister - Sophie Kinsella (Book)

Shopaholic & Sister - Sophie Kinsella.
Finally, I have read my first Sophie Kinsella  and I lived to tell the tale. All credits go to Mr. John Steinbeck for making me read a Kinsella after-all but I have no regrets. 368 pages of sheer fun, mad as she sounds being a Shopaholic who has to have almost everything she lays her eyes on, space where she is going to keep them or money as how she is going to pay for it is almost a no concern for her. Of-course a Kinsella is no PGW or anywhere near it but laugh it did made me throughout and especially the way it ends put a big wide grin on my face with expectations of another outing with her. I am not sure but there may be a sequel already out after this one as it is this one was a fourth of a series. I think I had bought this book from a sale (Bookchor or Bookthela for sure) as I wanted to get a hang of the Author in question. Thick book but a breeze to read as I guess I finished it in three sittings after a hard hitting book as I needed a break. And Sophie is an amazing writer I must say as almost a majority of her characters are super rich with no dearth of money and they very well know how to spend their money, making it way more hilarious for the readers, keeping me totally glued to it with new surprises in every chapter.
Protagonist Rebecca (another of my all time favorite names) is loving referred as Becky  is of-course a Shopaholic, recently married and on a year long honeymoon with her husband, can you beat that? Imagine what all she ends up buying while travelling around 15 countries (including India and they do visit my hometown too which was totally unbelievable). Life takes big turn for Ms Becky Bloomwood as her parents give her a huge surprise after she returns from her long Honeymoon in the form of a (half) Sister which she never knew existed. Becky goes on a dream sequence as her life is definitely going to get better with a sister of her own with who she is going to go further wild, shopping, movies, chit-chat and what not. You've got to read the book to know how (kool) her sister turns out to be. Her best friend ditches her for another friend and Becky takes it up on herself to prove that she is way better than anyone else. Ground breaking is the way she stops herself from shopping (or at-least she tries) I had a laughing great time reading that and swiping my own credit card as I had to shop a few things for my office and kiddo this week myself. Every-time I took out my card to swipe for some reason Becky's face kept coming to my mind (Reese Witherspoon in blonde avatar).
I can't say I loved the book or going to read the prequels or its sequels but I must say that I loved the Sisters and Friends bonding big time in this one and really missed not bonding with my own brother(s) anymore. The way Becky tries to keep up with her half sister and prove her love and support for her was totally amazing. I was shocked to see to what extent she goes and tries to work it out was unbelievably beautiful and I must confess that I didn't expect that much depth from Sophie Kinsella, I am all Respect for her now. On top of that, I have exactly one person in my mind (my nephew) who must read this book as that guy I tell you, cannot stay away from a Shopping mall almost every weekend. I am going to force this book down his throat and I am totally sure that he is going to love it and will see himself in it as how we see him, not that we don't love him or anything.
Other than the fantastic story from the point of view of Becky where she keeps talking to herself, one must read this book for the letters that she writes to various banks, shopping mall managements and the brands  and their responses, they are totally laugh out loud on floor stuff. Have you read Shopaholic & Sister or any of its prequels or sequels? Do let me know which is your favorite Sophie Kinsella.

No comments: