Thursday, May 07, 2020

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (Book).

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck.
My first Steinbeck was "Of Mice and Men" and let me tell you that I was totally in love not only with the man, his stories, the way he weaved it so beautifully but also he gave me a character whose memory I will take to my grave. Big Sam. A most innocent man (not by the look) and totally misunderstood character who pays for someone else's crimes but the way his terrific friend (whose name I forgot) keeps up with him and tries to keep him away from harm's way was incredible. I am huge huge fan of Stephen King too and after reading his "The Green Mile" I just couldn't not draw parallels between Big Sam and King's John Coffee, so much so that I even wrote an email to Mr. King (Of-course I got no response) asking if he was inspired Steinbeck's character as John Coffee was an exact replica of Big Sam and even their stories had an uncanny resemblance. On top of that, let me state this too that if you haven't read a Steinbeck, you have no idea what you are missing, as one Steinbeck is good for life and to get the impression of one of the most gifted writers of all times. I just finished the my second from him and totally clueless as how to tell you about the book that I finished. Although the book was published in the mid or late 30's yet it is so relevant in today's time. As if he actually saw the future and wrote it 90 years back.
I have read a few travel books in the last couple of years but no story comes any closer to the Joad's journey from Oklahoma to California in search of a better life. Simple farmers by profession living a day to day life toiling someone else's land taking it as their own, how it all changes with the industrial revolution when one Tractor makes the entire generation go jobless in no time. With a family of a dozen to feed, a daughter on the verge of having her first child, a son who is just out of prison after serving his sentence for a murder he did commit (but how and why), a recluse preacher who is no more a preacher in toes with them, a rickety truck to take them across the thousands of miles of journey which may conk off anytime. It is no less than a perfect thriller but the way their story touched my heart, gut wrenching scenes totally choked me up and the only thing which kept me going was the inevitable predictable ending which I kept hoping against all my hopes that it would never come. I will not call it a sad ending or a depressing book from any standard but it was indeed one of the most eye opening books I ever read.
Grandfather Joad with his two sons and their kids has only one dream to reach the land of the future (California) which will solve all their problems and give them a superb life. His dream is to just to have a bathtub full of water, do nothing but sit on it all day and eat grapes (so aptly justifies the title in the end). Exactly same story in today's time when we see thousands of people moving to big cities in hopes of a better future is no different than the story of Joads. But its not all bad let me tell you as I was so touched to read in between the lines as Steinbeck so clearly says that if you ever need help go to poor people as they will certainly take you in and help you to the best of their abilities. The kind of help they get, the little dreams, luxuries of life they witness and the pains they go through, throughout the journey and the incredible ending that I am so craving to tell but can't. If you have read The Grapes of Wrath, I am sure you will be able to understand but if you haven't, you've got to read this without fail that too at the earliest. One of the most incredible stories and a book that I will never forget ever in my life-time.
OK! After so much praise I must say that Steinbeck is not at all easy on his readers as he refuses to give the timeline neither the location where they are or from where they are moving and who exactly are the Joads. There are a lot of clues that I had to gather and put a two and two together still there was a few characters whose stories he deliberately refuses to divulge i.e. Uncle John, what happens to his wife? what was his sin?. And as I said he is not easy on his readers that includes the way his characters talk , initially it was tuff for me to follow as it hampered my speed (I am no speed reader but he made me read his book fast) but a few chapters down the line it works so beautifully that I started enjoying the way they spoke. And the way they talk, told a lot about who the Joads were and where they belonged - how smart of Mr. Steinbeck .
Have you read The Grapes of Wrath? who is your favorite character? I am going to get a few more Steinbeck's shortly, do let me know if you have a favorite too. Also, let me mention this too that my next was a Thomas Hardy but now that I have read this one, Sir Hardy will have to wait as I need a little break from heavy stuff and read something lighter.

No comments: