Monday, August 05, 2019

A Dance with Dragons - George RR Martin (Book)

A Dance with Dragons - George RR Martin.
I just bought a sleeping bag last evening from a sports store next to my office. Now, you may like to ask me, what a sleeping bag has got to do with this book? or the book series in question? If you have read this one, you already know my answer but if you haven't, let me tell you, I am preparing myself for the upcoming book(s) launch of this series that eagerly, that I will be sleeping in front of the bookstore to grab the very first copy of its upcoming part. George RR Martin is one heck of a writer, no two things about it, he has left the story in such a suspension and hanging state that I will keep on wondering what happens to my favorite (twenty) characters from the story. I can bet that no one can have one favorite from this series, at least a dozen or half a dozen for sure will be my all time favorite without question. Five books down in the series and after reading a little more than 5000+ pages, there are a 100 question that I need to ask him and some 20 theories running parallel to the narrative that he is going to twist, turn and resolve hopefully in upcoming books as and when they come out. I really actually admire (read hate) those friends who didn't stop me from reading this, even after knowing that I will be hitting a dead end with no ending sooner than later. People rather forced me into it and I have one brilliant friend who actually handed me over her complete box set with a smile . Do we really need these kind of friends in life . On top of that I have a cousin who just handed me over the entire TV series on a pen drive, drooling that I should watch it quick so he gets to talk about it with me, may be next weekend as it is 70 hours worth. That would take me at least two weeks for sure.
Fifth book of the series and some 1115 pages later, I am totally (still) in love big time with some half a dozen character and pray every night (being an atheist) for their good health and no sooner death by Mr. Martin. Seven kingdoms now are in ruined state, with no true born king in sight to take the reins of the realm. Dragon queen missing from action, dead or alive, no one knows. Starks too totally missing from action, all sons dead (almost), two missing daughters, wolves totally missing from the action, Bastard (my Hero) not getting enough support and opportunity to take the revenge or find his half brother and sisters. Lannisters, lets not even talk about them as it will stretch this blabber to no end . My love Jamie is again absconding totally and his Wench to is missing big time. Cersei finally getting her long due . My second best love Tyrion, aah! My heart pains to mention what is being done to him. Hopefully he will join hands soon with the Dragon queen (my wish) and come back strong for the Iron Throne. Where is Benjen Stark? Where are the "Others"? Where is Samwell Tarly? Where are the Hounds? Anyone?
The great Wall on the verge of being abandoned or taken over, the "Others" are yet to arrive, the missing last king (Stannis) again no clue dead or alive. Being a reader, it is at times too tough, still doable for me to keep a track of all the characters in small compartments of my memory but I really wonder how Mr. Author does that himself, is seriously beyond me. If I actually make a list of all the characters, I guess he must have named close to 2000 or more characters in this series by now. And they are so aptly named that it always puts a smile on my face as and when a new character crops up . One of my favorite name is "Damon-Dance-with-me" I mean imagine a character named like that . I especially love the Dothraki names, Khal Drogo (the best) Jhoggo, Jhiqqi  Khrazz and all the others. I so much wish Ser Barristan the Bold gets a detailed story of himself in coming books and so does the two Dogs (Hounds) the Clegane brothers big time. I hope and am sure they are not dead and out yet.
If I have to chose one favorite book from the series that we read so far, I will say almost each one of them is equally good if not better than its prequel. The series just keeps getting better by every book and just doesn't lose any steam I will say. ...... and the painful waiting period starts for the next in the series .

No comments: