Friday, August 16, 2019

Shall We Tell the President - Jeffrey Archer (Book)

Shall We Tell the President - Jeffrey Archer.
A couple of months back I re-read the iconic "Kane and Abel" but unfortunately this time around it didn't work for me. That typical Jeffrey Archer magic was missing, I just couldn't believe myself that I wasn't able to like it that much as I expected it to be. So I went ahead and read its sequel with very high hopes of liking it, and guess what, I was right . The sequel "The Prodigal Daughter" was fantastic and with very high hopes I picked up the last of the trilogy last week to check if it will keep the momentum going. And let me tell you at the very start, the third book of the trilogy is technically the best book of the lot, it was simply superb and I must say Uncle Archer was totally back with all the action, on top of that a terrific love story too as an added bonus in this one. Although the character of Florentyna Kane took a backseat and makes way for the FBI agent(s) who just keeps asking his boss "Shall We Tell the President?". What secret they keep from the President or do they actually get to tell her, is something I read the book for and it did keep me glued to the very end in the most mesmerizing way. My trust on Archer Uncle is back with a bang and I am so much looking forward to read so much more from him. May be I will get all his earlier works and read them as and when I can . He is one of my all time favorite writers for sure.
At the end of the second book, Florentyna is made the President of United States. At least in fiction, Archer gives Americans their first woman President and the first thing she wants to do is to control the fire arms. How kool is that  again, this can be done only in fiction, and no ways in real life. As she gets closer to pass the bill for controlling the fire arms and their sale in USA, there are people who want to remove her from the power. The only way to do it is to kill her, who is behind the conspiracy and how a rookie FBI agent comes across the information and takes it ahead with the agency makes up for a perfectly thrilling Cat and Mouse chase game. The three most important characters of the story are the agent, his accidental girl friend and the terrific Director of FBI, whose first name is never disclosed in the whole story as that carries a cash prize of $3516, to anyone who gets it first. I actually had to keep a keen eye to see if I could actually find the name mentioned somewhere. Why that odd figure? You've got to read the book to find that out. It was such a thrilling story with so much going on in typical American way, on top of that Archer leaves no stone upturned in making it a superb love story as well. How he does that in so much style is something which always impresses me big time and makes me a fan of the man. Life inside the Capitol building in DC as well as inside the FBI headquarters is captured in such a beautiful yet hooking way that it kept me glued to the book throughout.
Have you read the Kane and Abel trilogy? Which one is your favorite from the three? Mine is definitely "Shall We Tell the President" without any doubts. Even as an Individual book, it will be a wonderful read as not much connection with the previous two parts but just a handful of characters, who again get not so much attention in this one.

No comments: