Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Red Sparrow (And/Or/VS) Raazi (Movies)

Red Sparrow (And/Or/VS) Raazi.
What a co-incidence that I saw these two movies back to back as was travelling and had nothing better to do. I am not comparing them as they both stand out on their own and are pretty well made individually. But it was a superb co-incidence for me to watch them back to back without knowing what they were based on. I am glad that I do not watch trailers as my wife was already not happy while watching Raazi that she knew about the ending before hand and I had no clue where it will go. As I said, no point comparing as they are just two movies with only similar subjects, thrillers which were poles apart in handling from two different parts of the world. Indian movie is more subtle as our makers and censor board decides their audience's sensibilities but the American movie is totally on audience face to shock them and show them something they haven't seen or expect in their wildest fantasies that too with Jennifer Lawrence in lead.
Raazi is simply the best thriller of this year, which not only put a broad smile on my face, with so much respect to the original girl who did in real life that too in the 70's. And the way her deeds connect with such an important episode from India's history was the cherry on top. Wow!! They need to make more movies like that on similar stories from the unsung heroes and heroines from our past. Meghna Gulzar and Alia Bhatt with the support of superb writing and amazing support cast just nailed it big time. Not for one moment I could sit easy and relax with so much going on. Imagine a girl hardly out of college is being sent to the bordering (enemy) country to be married to a family friend's son. What agenda she carries with her behind the veil of marriage and how she is sacrificed by her own father and briefly trained by his own best buddies is one magical experience that every should have. The daring girl who takes life as it comes in Pakistan, the way she spies, collects the proofs and fights for own survival and at what cost, mind-blowing it was. VIcky Kaushal and Alia in almost the last scene of the movie were simply terrific, India Pakistan rivalry as well as friendship is beautifully depicted. Even the background score is hauntingly good and the songs are so aptly added.
I will say one of the best movies from this year so far for sure that every one should see without fail.
Red Sparrow was again a solid entertainer with terrific Jennifer Lawrence playing the lead character of Red Sparrow, trained by Russian Govt agency to tail an American CIA agent (to find an American mole in Russian Security). Exactly same situation like Raazi (almost) a girl with no background, family and support, struggling for survival after a freak accident where she loses her career (or whatever little she had) and an Uncle comes to her rescue with his own agenda. How and what he makes her is to be seen to be believed and the way she does it all with superb style is the movie all about. The perfect Russian spy taking on the American counterpart, first for a ride and then the double agent game, almost kept me hooked to the entire run-time (which was a little longer than expected) but it had so much going on at a breakneck pace that it was simply amazing. Jennifer Lawrence as always the case is, plays her character with an applaud much to the shock of other characters in the movie as she outdoes herself . Although I believe there is too much blood, gore and sex in it but I believe that was the demand of the script to make it more believable. And it works wonders. Although the movie is a typical American movie taking a huge dig on Russia of current times I believe  I would love to know what Russians think of the same, if this was actually released in Russia.
Have you seen both the movies? How about the similarities? I totally loved them both and gladly I saw both of them twice already as once I realized they were similar I had to see them again with my friends and wifey again .
If you haven't see them, you've got to watch them at the earliest, do not miss them at any cost. But watch out while watching Red Sparrow, not for kids. And if you have seen them already, do let me know how you liked them.

No comments: