Monday, November 11, 2019

Sacred Games S1 - Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane (TV Series).

Sacred Games - Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane (TV Series).
Last week I had an official travel  that means more free time and almost nothing to do as I hit back the hotel room for the evening. With no disturbance, calls, mails or TV in my room  I was looking forward to niptao some much awaited movies and catch up on a few long awaited TV series's too. I am super glad that the pen drive I picked up from home had first season of Game of Thrones (10 hours of sheer fun) and Sacred Games (8 hours amazingly spent in front of my laptop).
Incredible!! is the world which kept coming to my mind and hats off to the makers especially my favorite Director from our part of the world, a man which comes only second to Quentin Tarantino, my other favorite from the other side of the world. And if you haven't seen this one yet, Boss, you have no idea what you are missing, leave everything on side, call in sick today and get on with it already.
Thanks to the platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime and likes, our Television have come of age now. They are no more trying to show us something and making us interpret on our own rather now they are on our face and as it is or should be. The very first dialogue of Nawazuddin in the background sets the ball rolling which never stops, even at the end of the series too when I punched the pillow lying on my lap and banged the laptop shut as the wait is going to be excruciating to know where it all leads and on top that - how it ends 
Of-course this time it is Anurag Kashyap in company with another terrific maker from our side Vikramaditya Motwane who have some great movies to their credit already. The duo has made 400 minutes of sheer fun. Cat and Mouse game between the underworld and cops that too starting way back in the 80's to the current times I believe. With so many episodes from our own History making an entry here, there and everywhere plus the way they are not at all afraid of taking any names in open, of some powerful names from our part of the world, was totally mind-blowing. Blood, Gore and Abuses galore so much so that it actually was hurting to have a grin like that on my face and I craved to have a friend around with whom I could share the fun verbally as much as I was having them speak it  if you know what I mean. Nothing can beat the feeling of hearing our own chaste abusive words that too being mouthed by some of our own favorite actors and characters.
Saif Ali Khan and Namazuddin Siddiqui are simply mind-blowing and totally believable in their avatars. I had no expectations from Saif especially but the man has impressed me big time. No ways any of his movies comes any closer to this one, this is the best thing that has happened to him in last two decades I will say and I hope, wish and pray that they keep the momentum going with the Season 2, dunno whens it coming.
Plot is simple that Sartaj Singh (Saif Ali Khan) is a troubled police officer in Mumbai who receives a phone call from gangster Ganesh Gaitonde (Nawazuddin Siddiqui), who tells him to save the city within 25 days. And how Sartaj Singh who has his own past haunting him saves the city is what the series is all about. With ever page we have new characters coming to light who at times help him or make his life more tougher. Casting is super good and so is the background score. I haven't seen a better TV series ever in the past which comes any closer to this one at least from our part of the world for sure. And eagerly looking forward to the season 2 which I believe will put an end to it all.
Since I am not one of those guys who can live with suspense for a longer duration, I have got a friend send me a copy of Sacred Games the book by Vikram Chandra on which this series is made and I will be reading it very shortly.  Have you seen the series or read the book yet? Do let me know how you like it? I am looking forward to watch the 8 episodes again with my wife this weekend as its going to be a long weekend and we are travelling again out of town together.

No comments: