Thursday, March 05, 2020

Frenchman's Creek - Daphne du Maurier (Book)

Frenchman's  Creek - Daphne du Maurier.
6th Book of the year 2020 and first classic for a year which I wanted to be a year of Classics for myself :). All thanks to a very  dear friend (please raise your hand) who sent this my way. Last year I read my first Daphne du Maurier "Rebecca" and was totally not sure who I was in love with, was it the immortal Rebecca herself who was in full command of her house, husband and life which goes on in Manderley. Or was it the new Mrs. DeWinters or was it the amazing Manderley or on top of all that, was it actually the Author I was madly in love and in awe of. This second from her answered that, that I am actually in love with the Author. Exceptionally beautiful book from all standards, especially the unbelievably amazing characters. This is an incredible example of a story where the reader actually ends up loving a negative character more than the positive one, of-course the pirate that she made me love big time I would never consider a villain. Also, although this is my second DDM book but I must say that her women are incredible and superb strong women at that. Dona, whose story Frenchman's Creek, is one amazing wife, mother, an incredible host and an unforgettable lover whose adventure this story is. A married women with a typical good for nothing husband, two amazing kids and a few houses to take care in London and countryside, how she lands up in the adventure called the Frenchman's Creek is the story. This book reminded me so much of so many of PG Wodehouse books especially her man servant Williams, who again is the star of the story made me laugh like crazy. I didn't know DDM had such fantastic sense of humor and she could actually have a character like that in any of her books. And look at that beautiful cover, so many people actually took it just to have a closer look from me while I roamed around the town with the book in my hand.

Incredible story of a housewife Dona, whose life changes the day she decides to visit their country home where she comes across a mysterious French character, who happens to be a pirate at lose being chased by the elite of the area. The cat and mouse games begins when her man servant Williams put the fuel in fire and as Dona meets the Frenchman and her life changes upside down. DDM is so convincing and she has written this so beautifully that not for one moment I felt that Dona is actually having an extra-marital affair that too with a pirate, now that when I have finished the book and I think of the story, it strikes me like that :). But then we all loved Robin-hood, didn't we? The real character of Dona comes in full bloom for us reader as she meets the mysterious man and starts taking command of her own life, the way they go through with each other, fall in love, how she had to keep it all under the cover, but with a loads of people looking to catch and kill the pirate, it actually turns out to be a superb thriller too. And this one will show up undoubtedly on the top of my most loved love stories. DDM is not at all easy on her readers (just like Rebecca) wherein she refuses to not only give out the timeline or even the lead characters name. I had to keep my reading glasses on all the time while reading the book to know the real name of the Frenchman and keep an eye on the time it was all happening :). Even the town's name made me go back in time and think of one of my all time favorite classic action movie from similar titled fictional town. But trust me, as I said already a few times, the story is so beautiful that it actually doesn't matter. The story also reminded me of one of my all time favorite movie "Pirates of the Caribbean" and for some reason that Frenchman, I was visualizing as ever so loving Johnny Depp :) with that triangular hat on his head but DDM's pirate is so much more subtle and suave that his Caribbean counterpart. But his vessel "La Mouette", his team and his right hand man was totally incredible. Tried my level best to predict the ending but I just couldn't do it, such is the magic of DDM.

Have you read "Frenchman's Creek"? do let me know how you loved it, there is no question that anyone can not love this one. And if you haven't read it yet, trust me, you have no idea what you are a missing, pick it up today and give it a quick read. 250 pages of sheer fun.

I just came to know that there is a movie adaptation too made in the year 1944 which as per critics is very faithful to the book. Looking forward to it big time now. 

No comments: