Monday, March 30, 2020

Milkman - Anna Burns (Book).



Milkman - Anna Burns.
Ok!! First things first  I am on the lookout for that person who gifted me t his book , raise your hands please if that was you and lets talk. I do love challenging books as you may recall I finished "Ulysses" recently that gave me a book reader's block and I just couldn't read a book for a few months and after that I picked up the mammoth(s) Gone with the Wind and A Suitable Boy. But what has those books got to do with this one? I am triply sure that Anna Burns is a huge James Joyce fan and she has written this one totally in awe of Mr. Joyce for sure. Not an easy read from any standards and I guess that may be why it was selected for the Man Booker's last year. No idea if it end up winning that or not (I pray not). The book is not at all kind on the reader, as it never discloses its timeline, neither the city (even country) where it is all happening, all I could make out was that it wasn't India, USA or Russia for sure  but where it is happening, I got it by the time it reaches the ending but I will not spoil it for anyone who is looking forward to read it. Having said all that, I must also add that there are so many little respites in it as the story enfolds that it did put quite a few smiles on my face. Other than Joyce, she is hugely inspired by Murakami too as there are cats in the story and there is this another fantastic thing that Murakami did in his initial few books - you've got to read the book to know what .
On one front it is a very simple story of a teenage girl who is sick and tired and equally in awe too of the "Milkman" who is admired by her own mother since her husband passed away. I loved the girl who loves to run  and is always reading while walking. Her maybe-boyfriend has a grudge against her that she is always reading while walking and her mother has issues with her not getting married soon before she gets too old and hits her twenties. Of-course what is happening in the background in the city / country is something of a totally different story altogether. There are three sides other than the characters of the story, renouncers of the state, the defenders of the state and the state itself. How each and every characters gets involved with the scenario one way or the other makes it very interesting to read but I found it too much political to my own taste hence the fallout. And on top of that I wont mind adding that the book getting shortlisted for the Booker's adds further weight-age to my expectations or lack of it I should say. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would as it landed in my hands. Still the protagonist "maybe-girlfriend" was simply a superb character with almost a dozen of siblings who she needs to take care at times when her mammy was out taking care of the Milkman. Her good for nothing maybe-boyfriend the sort of mechanic was my another favorite character, but such a heart-break for me...by the ending. The girl who reads like crazy, a big fan of Ivanhoe (I gotta give it a read again soon), I just couldn't help but fall in love with her. Also, she blabbers like anything (in the form of the book) typical James Joyce style. Refuses to name her characters yet the reader has a superb connect with almost all of them.
After a hard hitting book which I am totally sure that I didn't get a quarter of it  I need to read a lighter one to refresh myself  and I have picked up one from a German Author this time. Do let me know if you have read and liked this one or any other Booker from 2018.

No comments: