Thursday, September 12, 2019

Nothing to Lose - Lee Child (Book)

Nothing to Lose - Lee Child. Another pleasant surprise that I kept for myself without my own knowledge :) as this is fortunately or unfortunately my first Lee Child read and again I had no idea what it was based on or if it was a part of a series or something. The first thing that excited me was the very first page with big bold letters saying "Jack Reacher" and I almost did a happy jiggle in my living room as I started this one. I have seen both the Jack Reacher movies, loved them as one of my favorite Tom Cruise plays the lead character and eagerly waiting for the third one to hit the screens this year. Unfortunately this is the 12th book from the series :) I know I am way too late but isn't it better to be late than never. I wish I had picked up the first two parts instead of this one and now onward I will be a little cautious in picking up the books that I am going to read and will stop picking books randomly without knowing anything about them. Guess that will take me another 6-8 months as I have that much stock left on my book rack which is yet to be read. My first Jack Reacher book has given me an awesome background of the much loved man who lives a ghostly life from one place to another, no family or friends to look forward to and almost no present and future. Surprisingly the book has some 550+ pages yet not for one moment I found it challenging. The book is way different than how they have made two movies on the character the guy is much more huge, handsome, milder and smarter than how they portray in the movies. If I hadn't seen the movies, I am totally sure that Tom Cruise wouldn't come to my mind rather someone like Henry Cavill would fit the bill more, he is more subtle, better looking and handsome too. As this was my first Jack Reacher book, it was a superb introduction to the ghost character who appears at his own will anywhere in the world and solves the problems even when no one asks him to do so or may be in the first place there appears no issue with the town. This time he is on his feet, moving from one place to another (on foot) with just a tooth brush and a handful of necessary things. As he crosses a small town called "Hope" and enters another called "Despair" the trouble starts when the people of Despair try to throw him out of the town for no reason at all. Now the Jack Reacher that I know is a tuff nut to crack :) as one can ask him to do things but no one can "tell" him to do something especially when he doesn't want to do it :) I guess you get the point. And what he uncovers at his own pace with the help of a local deputy from Hope (of-course a female) who has her own story to tell. Jack Reacher is Ex Army and have been in and out of quite a few countries especially Iraq and Afghanistan etc. What could be so wrong with Despair's only iron recycling plant which is very heavily guarded and even the military has some involvement, is what the rest of the story all about. How he clears his own doubts and solves the case is the terrific story spread over 550 pages at leisure, not for one moment the book is written to be competing in the "thriller" segment but will certainly qualify as a superb drama which keeps the reader glued to the narrative asking what happens next from the protagonist :). What an amazing character Mr. Lee has carved for us, if I liked him from the movie now I am totally smitten in love with him after the only book that I have read on him and I am craving so much to know more about the man's past :). Oh! And before I forget, Lee Child throws some very precious lines in the book that I will never forget ever in my life. Especially the definition of "Assume", not going to disclose it here as you have to read the book to know more about it. Also, Authors knowledge of mathematics and physics is simply brilliant :) again thats another reason why one should read this book or I guess any other Jack Reacher book too. The man is such a gentleman who believes so much in minimization that I am totally impressed. And as the title suggests, he never has anything to lose but it is for the people who come in his aura who are more to gain so much from his company. Have you read Nothing to Lose or for that matter any other Jack Reacher book? Do let me know which one is your favorite and I will get that with the first of the series which I am definitely picking up in my next book haul. Any other Lee Child favorite if you may have, do let me know about it.

No comments: