Friday, September 20, 2019

The Lake House - James Patterson (Book)

The Lake House - James Patterson. 

The two big mistakes because of which this book came to my possession were: One the Movie Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, I assumed was based on this book. Two I wanted to get a taste of much acclaimed Mr Patterson :). I guess one (disastrous) book is good enough to give me enough of idea of this man's talent and I have decided to keep away from anything else from him in any near future. Anyways I had picked it up to be used as a filler but 400 pages of sheer pain was something that now I need a book which should bail me out of what this one has given me :). But one thing really made me wonder how are his books selling like hot cakes? but again may be that is what these days people like to read in the name of racy futuristic thrillers, no ways he is my cup of tea. On top of that one line on the cover of the book further piqued my curiosity saying "Do not read this book alone in your house". And I did exactly that :) in the times of Artificial Intelligence one of the antagonist in his story creates an Artificial Love machine (a thing called wife) as per his whims, fancies, size and needs. Talk about a man's ego, he even designs his wife who will not age, with a mute button who is supposed to compliment him everyday and do the needful at the drop of a hat. That one thing put me off so badly that I wanted to abandon the book and let it go flying out of my 6th floor terrace but somehow looking at my own track record I just plowed through.

Imagine the progress Science has made, the great Doctor Mr. Ethan has matched the DNA of birds with man-kind and has created half a dozen bird kids in some hospital right under the nose of white house :). What was the purpose and how is he going to use his invention is something excited me initially and there has to be good people too who are to come to the rescue of these innocent kids. And enter an FBI agent and his girl friend who happens to be a veterinary. On top of that the Govt has her own agenda as how to save the kids and who to give the custody of. Right from cloning to saving and ruling the world for good, immortality, the plot has everything but unfortunately they just remain the ideas not very well explored by Mr. Author. Visually too the entire book is so weak that I had a sad time imagining the teenage kids with ten feet of wings flying out in open, some times to have fun and at times to save each other from the bad men. Barring one important character, I had no connect with anyone, almost no character development, no background or even their Biologies not fully explained it was all a quarter baked story. Even the title I would say isn't justified properly, there is a mention of the Lake House throughout but it is over-stretched to no end.

Right after I finished this book I checked my Unread collection to make sure that I do not have any other gems from him and thanked god that I don't have. Have you read The Lake House or for that matter any other James Patterson which worked for you? I would really like to know. But if you haven't read any of his works, I suggest you keep it that ways. 

No comments: