Monday, September 23, 2019

Thus She Spake (Vol I) - A R Sara & Friends (Book)

Thus She Spake (Vol I) - A R Sara & Friends.
Whenever I look back or think about my childhood there is this one thing that keeps coming back to my mind. Everyday as I used to walk back home from school, I would imagine that my mom must have cooked one of my favorite items and indeed it came true mostly (still dunno how that worked) but there was always an issue with what she made in quantity :). Every-time the quantity used to fall short of our satisfaction and mom will always give an excuse that when something is too good, it feels it wasn't enough. "Thus She Spake" is exactly that dish, that I always wanted, the booked came my way without asking, it is full of gem of the stories that I never wanted to end but again the size is so small (or call it so good) that it ended in no time. But the best thing about it is that the title says "Vol I" so we have more of it coming in very near future. Although I don't read much of mythological fiction these days but if I have to name a few of my favorite from the era, Karan will be on the top of the chain (right man at the wrong side). Another of my favorite character who never got his due is Krishna who I love more as I myself am a hardcore romantic and can there be a better character than Krishna and his love of Radha when it comes to romance or make it other way round. Imagine a situation when the whole world looks up to that one person for rescue and how amazing it is to know that who he looks up to. Now these five amazing Authors who are a part of "All Ladies League" have done a tremendous beautiful work in carving out five incredible untold stories of five underrated women whose perspectives were never told.

I don't want to disclose much about the book as you have to get this gem of a book and read it yourself, I can bet my life that you will finish it in one sitting (I stretched it to two to the best of my abilities and to savor the taste). I had no idea of its content and that is the reason I loved it more. My favorite story(s) will remain the first one about Radha (& Krishna) and the last one about Shiva's daughter. Although I am a strict atheist but if I have to pick up one God from the plethora of Gods that we have in our part of the world, Shiva will show up on the top and I still haven't got enough of him in my reading career yet. This one gave me another superb chapter about the man, his family and especially about his daughter of who I knew nothing till I read this one. Did you know Shiva had a daughter? And so far I haven't read Gandhari's version ever from Mahabharat whereas the only thing I know about her is that she was one of the most righteous person back then unfortunately having no control on the situation. It was indeed fantastic to know her story, how she was betrayed by her own father (and why). A new angle to Raavan's end was superb too. An important character from Ramayan who started it all in the first place (and why). I have read a few books earlier based on the mythological stories (fictionalized version) but this one comes closest to my favorites "Palace of Illusions" and "Karna's Wife" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and Kavita Kane respectively. I will be big time looking forward to its Vol II and will be super eager to know who they are writing about in the upcoming books.

Have you read "Thus She Spake"? If you have already read it, do let me know how you like it or which was your favorite story and character but if you haven't read it so far, you gotta get it at the earliest. 

No comments: