Thursday, July 25, 2019

A Clash of Kings (ASOIAF 2) George RR Martin (Book)

A Clash of Kings (ASOIAF 2) George RR Martin.
Two books down and I guess five more to go but Mr. Martin has already bowled me over big time with his earth shatter book series. This is the second book of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series better known as "Game of Thrones" and so far the things have kept getting better on the story, thrill, suspense, fantasy and what not front. It has taken almost 20+ days to finish this mammoth 876 page book but I am not complaining at all (although both my wrists are paining now). What a journey it has been so far, I thought the first book (Game of Thrones) was superb but this one takes the story couple of notches not only in content but in connect too, I am totally head over heels in love with a plethora of characters (hope and pray he keeps them alive for long) and totally hooked to it. Imagine my plight when this book got over on a Sunday afternoon and I was yet to pick up the third of the series from a dear friend who owns the paperbacks (box set). I actually called her before finishing the second last page and made sure that she was home  so I could run to her place and grab the copy, come back home and continue the story  as the suspense in the end was so killing, I actually wanted to ask her but somehow we both refrained . And as I finish this, the third book(s) of the series which are again in two parts (imagine the grin on my face) with 600 and 580+ respectively are actually calling me to grab them immediately  one after the another. I wish, someone was feeding me to read the books, I would never get out of my house for anything else  but as always is the case, life will take its own toll on all of us and It will take me another month or so to finish them off back to back. But I am loving the experience and hoping that the series keeps getting better by the book.
There is no point talking about the story of a series of books which is like (I believe) 3500+ pages long and spread over 7-8 books. You can imagine how much and what all is going to happen in the course of those many pages when the Author is George RR Martin, a man born with the wildest of imagination. Just when I thought that I will never get another series to read which will come any closer to Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, this one has swept me off my feat and I have to put it so far, in between those two series(s), this is definitely better than Lord of Rings and a little short may be of Harry Potter, but that may change once I am done with it in its entirety, provided Mr. Martin comes out with the last two books before I hit the dead end. Although I am an Atheist, but I have started praying for his long life, till the books are published .
One huge reason why I love this series is the way he has handled not only the story but the characters especially the way he has put it (the language). If you have read any of the books of the series or all of them, I am sure you will agree that it is actually special to read "Sir" as "Ser" and "Master" as "Maester" and so many other words like that, which actually take you back in time (as if it is all true and really happened), the magic of those words is totally amazing. Just by changing some terms and the way he uses it, makes it so much more wonderful than how anyone else could have done in a normal way making it totally unappealing. I wish I could make a list of those changed words and terms and put it here in my blabber . His sense of humor too is just amazing, I have laughed out loud this much in any of the fantasy or thrilling series(s) the way he makes me do in this one. Also, there is so much to hate him for too but then I give him benefit of doubt for it all being in Fiction (forgivable I believe), the way his characters handle the females especially, the brother sister relationships (calls them pure-blood), father daughter relationships (you've got to read) at times (read most of the times) it becomes cringe-worthy, but we have to take it with a pinch of salt too. I love the blood and gore as it is super fun, I love the blood dripping swords and those heads taken off of brave men and put on the wall for display  simply too good. Of-course it chokes me to see when some of my own favorites which I pray shouldn't die, he bloody kills them with shocking speed and stone heart. Also, I hate it big huge time when one of my all time favorite character (Tyrion Lannister the dwarf) is slapped by his own sister (Queen Cersei), I actually want to see her being killed brutally ASAP (if possible in third book) and her son the bloody Joffrey, hanged or beheaded that too ASAP. Hope my wishes come true. And I have learned a new curse term called "BrotherF***er" 
One more thing which I love about Mr. Martin's smartness is that he answers some unanswered questions from the first book in book 2  and I hope this will continue in future too as I loved the way he disclosed some people's doing from the first in second as I was looking for some answers thinking did I miss something earlier? How kool is that. But his twists are literally killing, as he turns heroes into villains and vice versa at the drop of a hat. If you have read it, how about Tyrion Lannister and Theon Greyjoy (although I feel sad for the later) but it is simply brilliant. And what to say about the vanishing characters like Ser Barristan was totally missing from the second part hope he makes an entry in third.
As the title of the series and the first book was apty called "Game of Thrones" the entire story is actually that only, with seven kingdom's heads playing the bloody game for the Iron Throne (I am seeing the Throne in my dreams now). There is so much happening in the story with each chapter keeping me engrossed and making the book a terrific page turner. I am astounded by the way Author does justice to almost all the characters with such fineness, I haven't read a better epic ever, I must say. But the second book somehow misses big time on Daenerys the Dragon Queen and I am hoping I will get to read about her a lot in the third part(s) but I am not in a hurry at all. For me, the heroes of the series are definitely King Ned Stark and his children. It does puts a big smile on my face to know that he has five legitimate children (Pandava's anyone?) and sixth an illegitimate child with mother unknown so far (Karn Anyone?). I am sure parallels must have been drawn by a lot of people but let me see how story progresses and who remains by the end  but things are getting interesting by the page, chapters and books, with high hopes that they just keep getting better.
Have you read the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series? I am really keen to which one is public's favorite book of the series.
PS: After reading the two books, I really want to try a couple of things like I now really really want to taste Horse meat, as they keep eating it now and then, has any of you ever tried it? Is it even legal to eat Horse meat?
PS2: I am so much in love with the book series that the only game I play these days on my cellphone (Clash of Clans), I have re-named my clan as "Winterfell" . At times I go crazy right in the morning raising my Cell up high in the air and shout "for Winterfell" as if it was "Ice" the greatest sword ever made, owned by my much loved Eddard Stark.

No comments: