Thursday, July 04, 2019

Parvathy's Well & other Stories - Poornima Manco (Book)

Parvathy's Well & other Stories - Poornima Manco.
All thanks to the Author that I got a free copy of this short and sweet book from Amazon as a part of promotion I guess. As I was taking a break after finishing a thick fat book, this was quite a delightful read which lasted only a couple of hours. The stories were so good that for a moment it got me thinking that I was reading my own childhood story, especially the one with the Haunted House . Wow! back in the days (mean 80's) almost every neighborhood had a haunted and abandoned house like that, usually a bit secluded from the rest of the colony, with yellow walls, paint peeling off from everywhere but was always stuffed with something making us kids curious to go in and explore . Exactly that's how the house was in the story and what these kids do and find out, you've got to read the book and the story to find out.
Six stories and almost each one of them leaves big mark on the reader. Talking about the daily lives down south to up north at the heart of the nation. I loved the way Author has carved out excellent real life characters in the stories. I could almost smell the summer heat in one of the stories of a child abuse that too in the family which was heart wrenching. You've got to read the story to know the various versions, the way she did it, and heart wrenching it was.
The story covering the a Govt office was simply hilarious and brilliant, but the important episode it covers from our political scene back in the day was just Wow!! Brought back so many memories from 80's as I said earlier.
There is a heart-touching story of Eunuchs too in the book which sent me back in time in the early 90's. I still remember that day, when one of our company accountant, came rushing to the lunch-room delighted. Declared that the usual Eunuch's came to ask for Diwali donations and he just gave them a mere 5 grand and turned them off. He was sort of new in the company and especially on our side of the industrial town  and to his horror and not to our surprise, they came back in three truck loads and what havoc they broke in front of our company that I just can't tell. Later, the deal was stuck at 21K . But this story had a different ending which actually made me emotional and gave so much food for the thoughts, if only there was a solution.
Have you read Parvathy's Well & other Stories? If you did, which one was your favorite story? But if you haven't, you've got to read this breeze of a book and I will be waiting eagerly for Poornima's full fledged book, whenever that may come.

No comments: