Thursday, July 25, 2019

A Storm of Swords (Part 1 Steel and Snow) ASOIAF 3.1 - George RR Martin (Book)



A Storm of Swords (Part 1 Steel and Snow) ASOIAF 3.1 - George RR Martin.
Two and half books down in the series and I must be saying this now third time that it is indeed very engrossing, unputdownable and keeps getting better by the book. I have just finished the part one of third book and have no patience to wrap this blabber at the earliest, take a break from everything else (read my mango-man life) and get back to the part two with a vengeance as there is so much happening in it which just can't wait. But yes, with the third book in progress I can certify that here onward George RR Martin has written it for a typical TV series (if not a very dramatic movie) as I am not kidding when I confess that there were so many moments in the his book which made me shake my head in shock, typically three times with background music saying "What?", "What??", "What???" as this one was so dramatic with lavish marriage plans, some normal, some forced, some deals between kingdoms  that it actually made it more interesting and shocking too at times. If you have read this or see the TV series, I got a shock of my life with Sansa's marriage  poor girl. A dozen characters to follow and every chapter ending with a twist of sort that I keep asking for more and more but Mr. Martin takes his own sweet time in delivering the goods. He is not at all easy on his readers I believe as I did get some answers for questions raised in the second book and I have a list of questions that I believe will be answered in forthcoming one .
The story of seven kingdoms and half a dozen kings fighting each other for the supremacy and that coveted Iron Throne just keeps getting better with every book that I end up reading. The House of Lannister and House of Starks need a special mention  as their sons, brothers, kids and cousins all are on killing, dying and running spree so much that it (not at all) very hard to keep a track and check on them. I am yet to come to terms with some deaths and some vanishing characters, eagerly hoping that they do a come back soon. The 700 feet wall saving the realm from "Others" and outside forces . Three books down and I haven't found "The Others" yet, when would they come full force? Where is Benjen Stark? Is he going to make an entry now? If you have read this, do not tell me but sympathize with me please. Can we kill the wretched queen Cersei any sooner now? how about killing them both together (read her son Joffrey too). And can we please have Ser Barristan back in the game ASAP  and how about making them all grow a bit (say by a couple of years) as they all are still teenagers and the kind of toll Mr. Author is taking on them, seriously puts me off (read enjoy more). How about the missing Direwolfs? What happened with Bran and Rickon? and my favorite of favorite "Hodor"? What of Samwell? who reminds me so much of my favorite Samwise Gamgee from LOTR, hope he unites with Jon again. What is "Valar Morghulis"?
The first part of the third book from the series is so aptly titled "Steel and Snow". I guess all their armies are ready to attack, The Dragon Queen (My favorite Daenerys) is almost hitting back with full force and vengeance but I am afraid she is going to kill some of my favorites or won't she? And to kill the reader with suspense the next part is titled "Blood and Gold" how's that sounds? I must be saying this like a good third time but Mr. Martin specializes in turning one man into a villain at the drop of a hat and then he turns him right back in another 100 pages into a hero of sorts. So much so that the reader is actually in love with him, Jamie Lannister  the Kind-slayer who I loved to hate earlier but now I am feeling like I am admiring the guy even after so much loss (read the books damn you) And I have no idea where the Author is taking me with his twists.
So, I have three more books to go before I join the gang of fans who are waiting for the next of the series for what? years and years of waiting? This is one of most insane book series that I have ever read. If you have read it, here is big huge Hi5 for you but if you haven't read this, DO NOT read. Stay away from the books as long as you can, at least till the last two of the series are out. As they suck you into a never ending story with no end in sight and will keep you hanging in killing suspense. I will move ahead with the next book now to quench my thirst and see how the next part turns out .
It took me 25 days or more to finish the first one, and 15 odd days for the second but the third one only took flat 7 days . Try as much as I can, not able to stretch them any longer and side by side, I have started downloading the TV series (7 seasons). Please tell me that the best of the series is yet to come, If you have read but if you haven't, stay away from it for another couple of years, till the last two of the series are out 

No comments: