Wednesday, October 23, 2019

FOSLA (Frustrated One Side Lover's Association) - Pradeep Kapoor (Book)



FOSLA (Frustrated One Side Lover's Association) - Pradeep Kapoor.
Look at that name  even the title had me in splits and I always wanted to read it and a very dear friend delighted me by sending a copy my way without informing . Don't we all need more friends like that in our lives to make it more beautiful. On top of that the hilarious story revolves around a town called Bhopla which happens to be the same town I was born and brought up in  and guess what, the co-incidences do not just end there yet . The Author of the book Dr. Pradeep Kapoor who is so easily reachable on Facebook told me that he passed out of Gandhi Medical College (in book he made it Nehru Medical College) in the year 1986  I was born twelve years before that and right adjacent to the college campus is the biggest hospital of the town called Hamidia Hospital  where I believe my mother must have taken me for earlier check-ups, broken bones, vaccination and what not  No doubt, he and I could be roaming around the same corridors at the same time with no idea of how our paths may cross forty years down the line  how kool is that . One of my neighbors daughter I am still trying to trace who passed out from the same college but in the mid 90's, am not yet able to connect with so far. The only grudge that I had with the book was that I expected it to be a story of 90's if not any earlier and I am totally sure it would have made it further beautiful to read and laugh with. But Mr. Author decided to make it a contemporary story with not so distant past yet it takes nothing away from fantastic story as it is indeed a laugh riot and a very good light, short and sweet read. Which will definitely take you back in time to your own school cum college days and remind you of all the love and heart-break you must have faced . I definitely did and can just not forget our own college days, sitting on the college wall waiting for Mt. Carmel or St Mary's buses to arrive and pass on through our campus .
I guess we have read loads of book from the campus of an Engineering (read IIT) College or Management Colleges (read IIMs) all thanks to legendary Sir Chetan Bhagat but I fail to recall one book which was showed us the life of someone aspiring to become a Doctor. This is the first of its own kind and I am glad to have got this. Definitely going to gift it to a couple of my own Doctor friends, who will love it even more than I could as it has so many terms which actually initially made me pick up the dictionary but gradually it all started coming too easy as story picks up . Love story of JD and Mansi during the four years of Graduation with their own set of friends going through their own parallel tracks is the book all about. They all come from different walks of life with their own struggles and backgrounds, what all they go though in the initial years of MBBS, ragging, making new friends, falling love, falling out of it, hilarious incidences and accidents and so much more. I tell you, Mr. Kapoor has some awesome sense of humor and I am doubly sure he has read and loved his own share of PG Wodehouse  but hats off to him especially for the way he has kept the story's Indianness intact . Even the characters in lead and the side kicks are so believable that their happiness becomes readers achievement and their sadness and heart-break (as the title suggests) which is indeed inevitable in life actually broke my heart. Another small grudge I have with his story being a Bhopali that I am is that he didn't explore the town of Bhopla to its true potential but I guess his second book "A Tale of Two Nights" will make me happy (or read sad) about it. Even that I have received from the same big hearted friend of mine .
Have you read FOSLA? or any other book or story from a medical college? If you have read this one, do let me know how you liked it. Looking forward to his next one big time which is based on the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.

No comments: