Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Lethal White - Robert Galbraith (Book)

Lethal White - Robert Galbraith.
Saturday early morning my wife found me on sofa sleepless with my Kindle on top . She was like "What the heck??" and I was like "Arre JK Rowling's new book came no, I have to read it before anyone posts a review", to which she responds "Harry Potter waali Rowling?" and I was like "Yeah, that's the one" and no one disturbed me for the rest of the weekend .
First time in my life I have received a recently published book that fast that I actually end up reading it in the first week of its release . I loved it or not, thats altogether a different thing but all thanks to another superb friend of mine who mailed it my way on the very next day knowing the miser me that I am not going to buy a book priced upwards of 550/- but crave for it till I read it . You know who you are? And you know very well that I love you . (Wonder what I am getting next ). JK Rowling has a superb following and a huge credit of that as per me, goes to her believable life like characters of Cormoran Strike, who is always hungry, broke, irritated, in pain, in love, deprived of sleep and so much more in no particular order. But still I love him like anything and keep wishing that me the reader had any powers to turn the narrative a little bit in his favor. And then comes Robin, now I can say she is love of my life (Fictitiously of-course) and Cormoran's life too whereas I know that he is never ever going to confess his love for her and neither she will do it ever in this life time for sure. But I have a hunch (a big one at that) that by the end of the 7th book for sure, she will make them confess to each other and my dream will come true. But the way the story(s) developing between them and the cases that they solve with so much in sync just keeps making me fall in love with both of them deeper with every book that I finish. Again I will be saying this for the third time for this particular series that it just keeps getting better by the book, although "Lethal White's" ending was a big let down, its stretched too much, refuses to come and is way over the top still it takes nothing away from the fun that the reader gets by reading a terrific book close to almost 700 pages .
JK Rowling definitely has some fetish with India too I believe. In the last book of the series "Career of Evil" we were introduced to a character called "Shanker" who helps Cormoran (he actually saves his life twice), and I thought it was just a co-incidence. But this time too we have an important character renting a flat owned by one Kasturi Kumar (name made me smile) with a few more Indian references it cleared my doubts that she does loves our part of the world too. Talking about the book in question, Cormoran Strike is a kind of celebrity detective after solving three big cases back to back much to the dismay of MET and Scotland Yard but has definitely gained some respect in their eyes too. Whereas Robin has gone from strength to strength with Strike, not only she has become a Partner from a mere temp who was wrongly sent to his office (in the first book) but has kind of develop a huge repo with him (which is no less than Love) but for some reason they bloody just don't accept it. And to break all of our hearts together she said "I do" in the last book of the series looking in Strike's eyes with a smile on her face. Now, you've got to read the book to know more about her married life and how it helps / hampers her detective career. This time too a person from Strike's past comes asking for a help who is now a Minister of Culture in London with the country readying itself for upcoming Olympic Games (2012). The two parallel tracks which Strike and Robin has to solve make up for a superb cat and mouse chase game. Struggling with their own person problems (Charlotte and Mathew) respectively, it is such a heart touching and a bit suspense cum (not much) thrilling story. The best part of any Strike book is Robin going undercover and doing the job with full style much to his own amazement, shock and surprise plus the time they spend together if they go on a long drive . If you have read the earlier books, I will claim that I can see you smiling already.
As it applies too all Rowling books so far she has written, the more fat the book is the better it turns out for the reader. This one is no exception as it has almost everything, murder(s), drug abuse, black mailing, money, politics, mental illness, even Music (superb references) and a lot of Latin with which JKR keeps impressing her readers. She also takes digs on her counterpart from America "James Patterson" I guess as she names one of the lousiest characters after him (I may be reading too much but I believe so). The biggest turn off (surprisingly) for me in this book is its title, she could have named it anything and it would have worked equally well and the never coming ending of this one. Still, its a superb one time read, especially for those who have loved the series so far. I don't know how long we will have to wait for fifth book now but it will be worth it I guess. In the meantime, I plan to give the TV series a go after a brief break to save on the heart-break it may give me after much loving the books.
Although I do not consider myself any kind of expert but finding a mistake in a book Authored by someone like JKR, does puts a smile on my face. If you have read it, let me know if you were able to find any? I will let you know what I found in the comments.
Have you read the "Lethal White" yet or are you planning to read it any sooner? If you have, do let me know how you loved (or liked or hated) it.
A note to Robert Galbraith / JK Rowling: Can you please please please kill Mathew and Charlotte at the earliest. Put them both in a car and let it have a head-on collision with a truck or better, let them get shot by a terrorist and bleed to death or any other idea you may have, totally acceptable to me. But kill them soon please.

No comments: