Thursday, October 31, 2019

Prem Kabootar (Hindi) - Manav Kaul (Book)

Prem Kabootar (Hindi) - Manav Kaul.
A very huge thanks to a superb dear friend who sent this book my way. Unfortunately I haven't read much of Hindi literature in last couple of years and this was an incredible new start. On top of that I am totally incapable of getting a Hindi font installed on my machine so I can talk about the book in as much Hindi I know in the trying times of today  when it comes to our own mother tongue, my vocabulary is almost zero. But as I said, this was a superb mirror and it was such an amazing book to read which was totally not only able to keep a wide grin on my face but also give me so much food for my thoughts too. It was kind of a journey I took with the book and its amazing short stories which sent me back in my own childhood (as the Author calls them good old days so very well). Starting from the teenage years (and the love stories) to the making of a middle aged man with no purpose in life and achievements. Before I forget to mention, if you do not know the Author is an acclaimed Actor from Hindi Cinema. The latest movie that he did and we loved big time was "Tumhari Sulu" where he played Vidya Balan's Husband, the amazing character he played so well that I hated to love him in that role, if you know what I mean. Now a book coming from a person like that, makes it further more interesting. Going by his last name, I believe he is from the state of Jammu and Kashmir hence the pain in his stories is so much more evident and clear too. His Hindi is totally amazing and I loved that he didn't opt for English which is the trend in today's time. On top of that the use of English words which I believe he himself couldn't help in the story makes it even a better (I mean Hilarious) read.
First story is my favorite as it is indeed taken out of my own life (I wonder how), three best friends (teenagers) with their own set of stories, backgrounds and struggles, out of which one falls in love with a girl with the help of other who writers his love letters and in place the writer himself falls in love with the girl. What happens next is not only a cat and mouse chase of story with hilarious (and at times very serious thought provoking twists) and heart touching too. I always wonder why the best friends stories in our part of the world will always (read ALWAYS) have three guys in lead . And the last one of a middle aged man, still lost in his long lost love story back from the days. This was the second best of the lot with such a touching story to tell and an amazing ending  (almost) beyond my expectations. A set of two long and six short and very short stories, all have their own philosophical touches. I am totally amazed by his deep thinking and the way he calls himself "theek thaak" and nothing beyond that, on a scale of one to ten where 1 is the worst and 10 is the best, all his life he claims he stays somewhere in between 4.9 to 5.1 I believe, totally loved it.
One most important thing about these stories other than of-course having their hearts at the right place, I noticed another terrific thing that I wasn't actually reading the stories, I was rather gliding into them, with them. It was as if I was a part of the narrative, the connect was so strong and characters so genuinely written plus the way they speak, especially since it was in Hindi, it makes up for a superb awesome read. I am so much inclined to read a little more Hindi literature that I will be picking up a Bhishm Sahni Book (Tamas) next. Have you read a Hindi book recently that you recommend highly especially if it is from a contemporary writer, I would love to give it a try.
I am super glad that I got this recommended and even book sent by a friend otherwise this would have been another case of me discarding and shooting down a celebrity book without reading . This is a must must read for all, especially those who crave for Hindi literature and short meaningful stories.

No comments: