Thursday, December 19, 2019

A Couple of Choices - Ajesh Sharma (Book)

A Couple of Choices - Ajesh Sharma.
How do I start my blabber with a blasphemous sentence, a confession of sorts and yet save myself from some brick-bats? That is what was going through my mind as soon as I finished this little gem of a book. Undoubtedly this is the first of its own kind of "Play" that I have ever read in the last couple of decades, loved it totally and now I am hooked, shocked and amazed that why no one forced me to read a Shakespeare or my own personal favorite Oscar Wilde? I am super glad that I finally laid my hands on this incredibly short yet terrific book, written in the play format which makes it further more interesting. And on top of that the story is so real life like that I believe I know quite a few friends who are either going through this phase in their lives, or some may be contemplating doing what the protagonist of this story does with his own life and how it all shapes in the longer run, was totally amazing. As the title suggests, its all about the choices that we make in life and one always has a couple of them only. I myself have been married for almost 14 good years now and I won't shy away from saying that the thought of running away from it all in search of real meaning hasn't crossed my mind ever. Or a thought like - is this what I am supposed to do what I am doing? I don't know if Author really wanted his story to be philosophical or not but it worked big time for me and made me smile, laugh, almost made me look for someone to give a Hi5 and kept me in suspense too as how it all going to end.
Story of Alex, a successful middle aged Author with four amazing books to his credit is living a life of a recluse (by choice). He has his dream home, as exactly how he wanted and has been living like that for a decade or more. It all changes when suddenly his estranged wife Phyllis makes an entry back in his life for a reason unknown to him. His life revolves around his literary Agent (another superb character and a great friend), his Editor and book club fans who look up to him. As the story progresses from one scene to another, the reader discovers more about the man, his wife and the family that he had left behind and more questions are answered for the reader in very intriguing manner by the Author. I loved the way he keeps one of his rooms locked which has a very high emotional or shall I say romantic value for him. What he keeps hidden their from his friends and only opens it up for his estranged wife, is what one should read this book for. As I said the story is so believably true and real life like that I totally loved it especially the way it touches something as simple as that "You don't have time for me" between a Husband and wife and the discussion gets blown out of proportions almost every-time it starts , had totally me in smile and me think and wish that I could make my wife read this gem . But would a thing like that make you walk out of life of someone you have loved your entire life? And can there be a resolution once someone actually takes a step in that direction and really walk out? How about others who pay the price for the same without being a part of the actually problem, say kids. Wow! What all this story touches in such a short yet meaningful manner was simply terrific. I never expected so much from such a short book and kept asking for more.
This book will be an eye opener for all the married people out there  for me it was a huge one telling me "You are not the only one going through this brother, we all are in the same boat" . I hope and wish that Mr. Ajesh is definitely writing another gem of a book as I post this and I will get to read it as soon as it is out. Even a sequel will get a great welcome from me as I really want to know how Alex's life will go forward  may be I will ask him that personally as he is available on Facebook .
Have you read "A Couple of Choices"? Do let me know how you like it, and if you haven't read this one, do not miss it at any cost. Give it a read ASAP, you can finish this one in flat one sitting and it will give you so much food for your thoughts.
PS: And now I will dash to my first Shakespeare or Oscar Wilde play  Any recommendations for an easy one I can start with?

No comments: