Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Damage - Poornima Manco (Book).

Damage - Poornima Manco. As the year is coming to a close, I wanted to take it easy by reading a collection of stories which was in my wish list for almost a year or longer. And the most amazing thing happened yet again that it came straight from the Author from London. Co-incidentally it became my 50th book of the year and I must say that it is one of the most mind-blowing book that I have read this year. If I have to pick up the top 10 of this year, "Damage" will certainly show up on top. I have read another short story collection from Poornima Manco last year and I loved that one as well but this one is totally unpredictable, although fiction but based on what is going on in our part of the world as we speak. A few of the stories (two of them) are hardly two page long but trust me when I say this, I actually had to read them twice to get the real depth. I totally love those authors who actually challenge their readers like this as it made it even more interesting for me. Hats off to Poornima for the very first story where she opened up the mind and heart of a man for what he feels for his woman. The way she carved out those two terrific characters especially the way that man thinks and take things was totally mind-blowing. Author mist be a superb mind reader to do total justice to her character way beyond my imagination and expectation. You've got to read the story(s) to understand what I am trying to say. Also, I loved the way she isn't any easy on her readers and gives them nothing on a platter on top of that she rather shocked me with the brutality of it all as this is the closest one could ever get in fiction to a reality. I don't want to spoil it for those who would want to read the stories but I am craving to discuss them with someone who has read them already. Going by the title of the book "Damage" I assumed it to be a story of a heart-break but it isn't only that but so much more. It indeed has some beautiful love stories, heart-touching characters and situations that actually put a huge lump in my throat, made me stare in space asking answers to so many questions. A lot of her stories are eye openers of sorts based on some real life characters especially the one with a swami that I hated to the core (as there were so many of them in news not so long ago of-course for all the more bad reasons). I will pick up three of them as my personal favorite which I totally loved and plan to read them again some time soon. "Damage" based on an extra marital affair of a middle aged man, his love interest and her son. How it all starts, where it leads and what it actually damages was totally unbelievable and unpredictable to say the least. My second favorite was "Love Jihaad", as the title suggest an inter-religion love affair and marriage, where it leads the two couples and how their story starts, progresses and ends was a totally chilling affair and unfortunately believable as I have personally witnessed one such story in my own circle not so long ago. But the third from my favorite list and the last story "Like a Boss" totally nails it as it reaches its dreaded yet predictable end shook me to the core. The ease with which someone's life is of no value to those born with a sick mind and no purpose totally gave me goosebumps as the book came to an end with it and left me totally drained. I for one have certainly not read a better collection of stories from our part of the world which were this closer to the real life. Have you read "Damage" yet? If you have, do tell me what you feel about it but if you haven't read it yet, I suggest you get a copy at the earliest and read it ASAP. Also a word of warning, keep it away from your kids (under 15) as it may take a huge toll on them. I am going to make it a mandatory read for all my friends and cousins especially the young audience aged 15+ as they've got to read these stories as a warning on today's situation and making them more aware of the sad state of affairs across the world. And I will be eagerly looking forward to her upcoming full fledged novel as mentioned in the blurb.

No comments: