Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott (Book)

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott. The Shining is one of my all time favorite Stephen King book and the movie based on it is one of my all time favorite Kubrick thrillers that we the entire family watch every year religiously (to keep ourselves brave enough). Now you ask me what is the connection between The Shining and the Little Women? Here's the story behind it all. "FRIENDS" is one of our favorite TV series and we are right now watching its fourth run :) and of-course Joey is our favorite character who is so afraid of "The Shining" that he keeps the book hidden inside the freezer of his refrigerator :). His friend Rachel's favorite book is "Little Women" and somehow Joey ends up not only reading the book but the story makes him so emotional (almost equal to a horror novel) that they both decide to keep it inside the Freezer :) with The Shining. Now, how cute is that :) and that is precisely why I decided to read the Little Women before the year comes to a close for me. I totally loved the way they both talk about those two amazing books who now are my favorites. Especially the way keep throwing spoilers to each other :) fight over it and in the end, he is all emotional and teary when the story takes a sad turn. Other than this, of-course it is one of the most acclaimed classic anyways and I am shocked that this is the very firs time that I read this book, how unbelievably insane is that. But I am glad that I finally read it as it indeed is one of the most beautiful stories ever told and I totally loved it. And I believe the movie based on the book is right round the corner :) how amazing it will be to put faces to the much loved characters. Although I am not expecting much from the movie but won't miss it for sure. I may be the last person on this planet to read this book so late as I am totally sure that all of you must have read it once if not more. How can one not fall in love with the four sisters and their next door neighbor who they call "Our Boy". wow!! simply beautiful and heart touching story a family going through different phases from a missing father to a sick sister to a love triangle of sorts and so much more. Story has so much heart in it and it connected so well with me that it genuinely put a smile on my face, gave me tears of pain and joy at different times and choked me up big time at least twice. A typical middle class (to lower middle class back then) story of four sisters, their mother and an aunt. Each one of them is right opposite from the next yet the bonding that they have and how they always standby each other was totally heartening. And their terrific neighbors are like a cherry on the top with cute Laurie coming to their rescue as and when needed. It sort of sent me back in time to my own childhood when life was so different than how it is nowadays. Where one could actually walk in to their neighbors house at ease especially the way Beth (one of the sister) uses Laurie's Piano and becomes his Grandfather's favorite. How he spends so much time with the little girls and never misses his own parents. I loved the way Author makes her characters fall in love totally unpredictable for the reader in me and how beautiful it turns out in the end. Especially the understanding of the sisters and the ease with which they sacrifice everything (for a greater cause) right from the very start. The very first breakfast the start of the story when they were so young makes so much sense by the time the story comes to an end. It was a wonderful experience reading such a simple story which is not at all predictable and it has its own (sweet) twists and turns to keep the reader hooked to it big time. Right like the way Joey is shocked with the story, I too was much amazed by the way Author keeps the reader in suspense of sisters fate and future. I had a fantastic connect with the story as we too are four brothers (not at all like the sisters though) similarly fashioned in our current lives. Little Women will now show up in my top 100 all time favorites for sure, a book that I will recommend every one to read at least once. If you have read it, do tell me how you like it and who was your favorite character other than Laurie for sure :).

No comments: