Monday, December 02, 2019

Calling Sehmat - Harinder Sikka (Book)

Calling Sehmat - Harinder Sikka.
Majority of times when we watch a movie based on a book (especially these days) they usually fall in between underwhelming to lousy . Now that I have read the book and loved it as it gave me an in-depth idea on the character of Sehmat Khan as well as how and why she did what she did, I can very well say that the movie is Fantastically made and almost at par with the book if not better. I wanted to read the book before the movie came but the time was so short between the trailer, release and book becoming famous in no time, that I just couldn't squeeze it in my busy schedule (of reading books of-course). Hence I finally managed to finish it today and I must tell you that I started the book yesterday only. Either the book is too short, or the pace is so nice that it took me only two sittings to finish it and I will very highly recommend it to everyone, especially to those who have seen and loved the movie. It is a totally unbelievable yet true story of Sehmat Khan a Kashmiri girl who goes to impossible heights in fulfilling her father's last wishes to save the country from an imminent enemy attack.
I don't think I need to talk much about the plot as the Movie has already made it pretty famous. What I loved about both, the movie and the book is the way they have shown so beautifully as how it was all done that too in the late 60's to early 70's. Bravo!! The ease with which Sehmat a girl in 20's takes up the challenge and on top of that comes out a winner in the end is simply superb. The movie was an edge of the seat thriller yet it leaves so many questions unanswered which book responds in greater details, of-course it is again a fictionalized account of how it all must have happened. It also actually made me wonder if the Syeed's (Sehmat's In-laws) were actually so simple, yet were in those high positions in Pakistani Army and ISI, that they were fooled by a simple almost untrained girl, was a little unbelievable. But I will not counter or criticize it as it makes up for a superbly thrilling story in the end. We will never know the reality behind it as the real life Sehmat Khan, who never got her due has already passed away. The way it is done in the book, I really couldn't believe that a R&AW agent who does something like that will ever get a Red-Carpet Welcome in our country at any point of time and will not be killed by the enemy country's agent who are roaming around us since last three decades or more. But again, its a work of fiction with some reality in it, so we better take it with a pinch of salt and cherish it.
The philosophical touch in the end was very nice and the great details as what Sehmat does for the country while in Pakistan and how it all pays back heavy dividends was simply mind-blowing. The things that movie lacks in, the book fulfills like I said earlier. Even in the character development department, background story and aftermath is so beautifully done in the book. I totally loved it.
Have you read "Calling Sehmat"? Do let me know how you like it. As per you, which one was better? The Book or the Movie?

No comments: