Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Karachi, You're Killing Me! - Saba Imtiaz (Book).

Karachi, You're Killing Me! - Saba Imtiaz.
I haven't read a book on Pakistan or for that matter even from Pakistan in a long long time  So, I had to make a start somewhere. Also, after watching the movie "Noor" with gorgeous Sonakshi Sinha as Ayesha from the book, which totally disappointed me, I had to read this. Now after reading the book I really understand what Movie never worked in the first place is because you can't do a Karachi in Bombay for sure and they changed everything else as well which made it a sad overall experience. The only good thing in the movie was Sonakshi who played the character of Noor (Ayesha from the book) to the T. The book was totally shocking in a better and hilarious way. As I said I haven't read book from the neighboring country in a long long time and have no first or second hand experience of life out there, this was a total shocking account. Imagine, not once the words like a Burqa, Mosque, Azaan, Maulvi, Five time prayers, Eid, Marriage etc were used. On top of that the lead character the journalist Ayesha does all her life (six months of book's timeline) is Eat (Chips), Sleep, Drink (Beer, Whiskey, Wine, Gin, Rum, Scotch etc), Smoke, Smoke and report the news for the paper she works for. And I thought Pakistan was not only a conservative country as far as women were concerned but was a dry state too just like our Gujarat. Although that's a different matter altogether that as many times I visit my friends in Gujarat, the first thing they ask us is "What do you want to drink?". The book is a breeze to read, too short, sweet, hilarious and shockingly fantastic account of an early 20's girl based out of Pakistan. For some reason her wiki page claims she is born in 1950 and is 68 years old 
Ayesha is 28 year old girl from Karachi who has practically no life , no friends (just two), sucking job, worst ever boss, no car, no bank balance and on top of that her father, a single parent loves his cat more than his daughter . Can things get any worse for her? Her survival mantra is to smoke, drink and dream of getting laid by a cute foreigner working for CNN. How things turn out on work, love, country and on getting laid front, you have to read this hilariously fast paced book which is too short and gets finished in a jiffy. Dog eat dog world of journalism is very well captured too, guess the world over situation remains same. The story gives quite a glimpse of the Pakistani way of life (read modern) and no doubt impressed me big time with the happenings in the book. I just couldn't believe (or say digest) that I was reading a book from across the border where people get mugged at the drop of a hat especially on traffic signals. She claims that is one reason why everyone drives faster in Karachi, so they don't have to stop at the signals hence saving themselves from mugging . What I loved big time about the story is the character of her Father, totally underrated character but the way he stands up in the hour of need and the way he treats her throughout to shock and amazement of not only Ayesha but me the reader too, was simply too good. I am yet to come to terms with my father when it comes to drinking (I quit smoking long back) and the way she smokes and drinks in front of him is totally unbelievable. Pakistan (may be in fiction only) as a country has seriously come of age if this is what the definition of freedom and modernism is. Ayesha's no holds barred approach towards her sex life shocked, amazed, surprised and even made me happy.
My mother is definitely going to love the book big time as it has so much of Imran Khan in it  Guess all the females from across the borders especially from her generation had/has a huge crush on the man. And their crush on Bollywood stars, movies and music is so much fun to read too. Karachi, You're Killing Me sounds more like a beautiful introduction of not only the city, state, its people and the believable characters. Saba Imtiaz's commentary on Pakistani politics and blame game is another point which mightily impressed me. Book is amazing but what it lacks is a solid story which I kept looking forward to which unfortunately never comes as the protagonist's life goes on from a day to next keeping me glued to what's going to happen next. I will be eagerly waiting for her next book which I believe will be a story she would like to tell us (hopefully).
Have you read "Karachi, You're Killing Me!", do let me know how you like it. I will be on the lookout for some more from the contemporary Pakistani Author's now as I am mighty impressed by this one. Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.
PS: I wonder what was the general reaction of people in Pakistan on this book.
PS2: I have decided not to send the book to my mom as this will not only change her opinion of Pakistani girls (and definitely not for good) as well as it will break her heart a little. Since we had an arranged marriage (Girl of her choice) and she has asked me thrice in last five years if my wife drinks and smokes. My response: Silence.

No comments: