Thursday, April 03, 2014

Amelie (2001) - Romantic / Comedy



One of my movie freak friend who happens to be a big big fan of Audrey Tautou recommended her name to me and I end up getting my hands to some half a dozen movies of her with plans of watching them back to back. I must say thanks from the bottom of my heart (to you Virat) – what an amazing movie this one turns out to be plus Audrey is not only gorgeous but a damn good actress as well – totally in love with her after watching her first movie (from my list). (Wiki): The movie tells the story of a shy waitress, played by Audrey Tautou, who decides to change the lives of those around her for the better, while struggling with her own isolation. This movie is almost at par with superb movies made by one of my favorite Director – Woody Allen, I shouldn’t compare but the kind of fun / entertainment / heart touching story / meaningful and more than all that “the connect” that I had with this one – that only happens with almost all of his movies. Ten minutes into the movie and I was totally floored by Amelie’s (Audrey) character, her crazy family, colleagues, lady Diana, people she meets, her discovery followed by the search, the way she touches all the lives and keeps doing the good for almost everyone she keeps in contact with. It’s amazing the way all the characters are written – right from Amelie’s character to almost everyone else in the movie – not one character that I could point out who didn’t made an impression on me and whose story didn’t put a smile on my face which refuses to go away anytime soon. Amelie is such a darling that I just couldn’t not fall in love with her and the way she goes around doing good for people which in the end pays back her too – you’ve got to watch it to know how and what happens – trust me – you will not be able to just watch this movie once and forget about it. I am definitely looking forward to watch it again soon as its such a beautiful movie – a one of its own kinds shot in Paris where we see the Eiffel Tower only for a fraction unlike its counterparts which keep revolving around the tower – this one is top notch in cinematography and its terrific the way they have captured the French locales especially the architecture, totally loved it. Even the background score is too good and keeps setting up the mood, narrative is so good that it kept a permanent smile on my face throughout with more than a couple of moments which indeed made me very emotional but of course with a smile. It came too close to that perfect movie that I will remember for life and no doubt that it got nominated for five Academy Awards – don’t care how many it got. I will rate it a damn good 4.5/5 with a very high recommendation for all – do not miss this at any cost.

No comments: