Saturday, June 16, 2012

Alien (1979) - Science Fiction

When I first saw the “Alien”, I was only 18 years old and was shit scared. Actually I had taken a brand new AIWA 3700 WATT Music System and they had an offer going with it. The offer was “A pack of 20 Hollywood VCS’s”. Till that time the DVD’s were still not launched and VCD’s was something great to have. I and my friend both picked up one system each hence we had a collection of great 40 VCD’s. The dealer too was a little known to us – hence he let us chose the movies – we made sure that we did not take the same movies and made a perfect collection of Action, Science Fiction, Horror, Love Stories etc. This was a part of Horror collection. I went home – installed the system and put it around the Television to enhance my movie viewing experience. This was the very first movie that I saw that evening – all alone. By the time I finished I realized that I did a mistake – as I could not dare to go alone to my bedroom to sleep, hence kept on watching movies throughout the night till the sun came up. That was the effect of Alien at that time. Again I saw it couple of years back and it wasn’t that bad this time. Last night I saw it for the sheer fun of it and it was just fantastic to live those moments again. Amazing is the way Ridley Scott has made this one – even after 30+ years of its release – it’s too good for a first time viewer as my wife couldn’t guess the year and she won’t believe that it was actually made in 1979.
Everything is so good about this movie, the space ship, and the people on board. Had never seen or imagined John Hurt that young and Sigourney Weaver is just stunning. From the landing of the ship to the three crew members walking out, exploring the planet and signal is etched in the memory permanently. I was actually seeing a scene which was always there in my mind all these years. First encounter with the small Alien which jumps out of that egg and gets stuck on John Hurt’s helmet almost made me jump on the sofa this time around too. The silent killer treatment is something which makes the movie more spooky as you know anything can jump on the screen anytime and there is no background score or noise at all, just a little beeps here and there and some engine noises heard at a distance. I had no memory of that robotic man and it was a delight to watch his part. The first encounter with the bigger, bad, mother Alien – is a sight no one ever forgot, myself included and the noise that she makes, is simply mind numbing, edge of the seat stuff. Almost everything about this whole series is too good to be missed – right from the moment they land – you have a feeling that they are all going to perish but how? The final fight with the Alien, destruction of the ship and survival of Sigourney is such a relief till you see its sequel.
One thing which surprised and impressed me big time was the creation of the whole environment, the planet, the area, tunnels, ship’s inside with those ducts and pipes, metal doors, everything is so convincing that you actually feel that those things exist in real. Kudos to these guys who put in so much to make a movie more real and convincing. Right after Alien and its sequels – so many movies were made taking a cue from these movies but none came half as close to what these movies did on the box office as well as on its audience’s minds.
One scene which deserves a special mention is that Alien coming out of John Hurt’s chest and its shrill noise – I am sure – I am taking that scene and sound to my grave. Right after they take it off his helmet – they operate it a bit and trust me when I say this – I couldn’t have an omelet for almost good one week to I guess ten days J
If you haven’t seen this – now you know what you are missing.
Go ahead grab a DVD and enjoy the fun. Its no more a horror for me at least but a damn good thriller.
I guess I am gonna run today and get the Aliens (1986), Aliens 3 (1992) and Alien Resurrection (1997) as soon as I can.

No comments: